How To Layer Popular Actives
Active ingredients are key components in treating your skincare concerns. The active ingredients in your products are what make tangible improvements to your skin. But what if you have more than one thing you’re trying to treat?
Using multiple actives together is an easy way to target multiple concerns in one routine. We’re going to get into some of the best active combinations, and which ingredients can be layered to achieve better results.
But first, here are the basic rules to follow when layering any skincare product, keep these in mind when making your routine order:
- Thinnest to thickest (in consistency, so watery liquids to heavier creams)
- Water-based to oil-based
There are a lot of different types of acne, and no single ingredient can treat all of them. Not to mention the side effects that come with breakouts, things like dryness, redness, irritation, and scarring. Here are some combinations that can treat both acne and some of the side effects.
- BHA’s & AHA’s: Beta hydroxy acids are effective at treating blackheads and whiteheads, while alpha hydroxy acids are better suited for pustules, papules, and pore size. Combining an AHA with a BHA will allow you to treat the different types of breakouts you may be experiencing.
- Niacinamide & AHA's/BHA’s: Niacinamide is known to improve pore size, oil production, and even treat fine lines and dull skin. Layering it with an AHA or BHA, like salicylic or lactic acid, gives you an effective treatment for excess oiliness, pore size, aging, and acne while brightening skin tone.
- Hyaluronic acid & Azelaic acid: Inflamed acne can benefit from azelaic acid’s ability to calm breakouts and reduce redness. Combined with hyaluronic acid, a hydration powerhouse, irritation and dryness from breakouts can be reduced.
- Benzoyl Peroxide & Azelaic acid: Benzoyl peroxide is a well studied acne treatment, known for its effects on inflammatory acne. By layering it with azelaic acid, also known to reduce inflammation and dullness, you can double up on targeting painful acne while fading redness and acne scarring.
*Note: mixing any two exfoliants puts you at a higher risk of irritation. Proceed slowly or consult a skincare professional. Any form of layered exfoliation should be used at MAX 1x per week to begin.
Preventing and treating signs of aging are high up on the list of skin concerns for a lot of us. Different actives target different signs of aging, so layering them can propel your results, and reduce the negative side effects of certain anti-aging ingredients.
- Retinol & Hyaluronic acid: Retinol is the master of anti-aging, but many of us have experienced first-hand how irritating it can be for our skin. Add a hydrating factor, like hyaluronic acid, to counteract some of the dryness that comes from retinol.
- Retinol & Niacinamide: Niacinamide strengthens your skin’s barrier, which can be useful in preventing over-exfoliation from retinol. Niacinamide will work to reduce pore size, brighten skin tone, and smooth texture, while your retinol targets fine lines and wrinkles.
- Retinol & Ceramides: Retinol can make your skin more vulnerable, especially when you first incorporate it into your routine. Add a product rich in ceramides so you can assure the new skin being turned over is hydrated and supple.
- AHA’s & Peptides: Alpha hydroxy acids have proven to be effective against fine lines and wrinkles, and peptides assist in collagen production. These will work together to smooth and plump the appearance of fine lines and give you firmer skin.
- Antioxidants & Sunscreen: Antioxidants (like Vitamin C) fight off free radicals, the unstable atoms that contribute to sun damage. Apply an antioxidant serum before your daily SPF to boost your sunscreen’s efficacy.
*Note: It's best to not layer AHA's/BHA's with retinol. If you want both in your routine, I suggest using them on different nights and not layering them. See here what layering glycolic acid and Retin-A did to MY skin! https://www.cherie.com/campaign/6877422588180561926/Over-Exfoliated-Skin-What-To-Do-Next?utm_source=web&utm_campaign=web_share&shareChannel=web&gid=6877422588180561926>ype=long_article_post&utm_medium=long_article_post_detail_share
If you’re naturally dry, layering on hydrating actives will be crucial come winter. Here are some key combinations to look for or create.
- Hyaluronic acid & Ceramides: HA binds moisture to the skin, while ceramides help your skin to retain that moisture. These together will attract moisture and hold it there, preventing you from getting dry or tight skin.
- Squalane & Peptides: Squalane is one of my favorite hydrating ingredients because of its anti-inflammatory and oil-balancing properties. Combine that with the collagen-boosting effects of peptides, and you’ve got supple, moisturized, plump skin.
- Glycolic acid & Hyaluronic acid: Glycolic acid is one of the better acids for dry skin, as it exfoliates AND helps your skin retain its natural moisture. This will help with any flakiness, while hyaluronic acid will help balance your moisture levels.
- Hydrators & Occlusives: If you've got REALLY dry skin, you may need something to lock the moisture in. At night, apply your moisturizing product (whether it be a HA serum or basic moisturizer) and layer an occlusive on top. An occlusive layer essentially inhibits trans-epideramal water loss, so none of the moisture from your product will be able to evaporate. Vaseline or Auqaphor work in a pinch. You can also apply a facial oil on top of your moisturizer to lock hydration in. This can be done day or night.
Be sure to keep stronger exfoliants (AHA’s/BHA’s, retinol) in your nighttime routine, and ALWAYS wear sunscreen in the A.M. There are many combinations that work when layering, so don’t be afraid to experiment to find what active combinations work for you.
Exclusive Giveaway for My Cherie 🍒Community
Hey Beauty’s 🧖🏽♀️ I’ve been a busy bee 🐝 here in Australia 🇦🇺 and today I opened my online gift hamper store to Australia 🇦🇺 To celebrate I wanted to offer my entire Cherie 🍒 Community an exclusive chance to win one of my Bath & Beauty Gift Hampers (pictured) which includes: 🧚♀️ 2 x K Beauty Calosemi Strawberry Hydration Sheet Masks 🧚♀️ Tanya K Australian Art Series Bath Soak 🛁 500g 🧚♀️ Tanya K Australian Art Series Hand Creme 40g 🧚♀️ Sleep Eye Mask 🧚♀️ Bubbly Me Natural Organic Rose 🌹 Shea Butter 🧈 Bath bomb 🧚♀️ Australian Cockatoo Printed Hand Towel 1. To enter like my business page Gift Therapy on Facebook. @gifttherapyaus 2. Like this post ✅ 3. Follow me here on Cherie 🍒 and leave a comment on this post so I can enter your name in the draw ✍️ my followers please comment below too. 😉 Thank you to everyone who enters and good luck over the next two weeks! Thought I’d offer an Australian themed Giveaway with a K Beauty vibe to our community. Prize will be posted standard post to the Winner. 😁 Cheers 🥂 Jade 😁
Tips from a dermatologist on sunscreen ☀️
Let’s talk about sunscreen ☀️ What’s a good sunscreen to wear? One that is: * Broad-spectrum protection (protects against UVA and UVB rays) * SPF 30 or higher * Water resistant This will help protect your skin from early skin aging, sunburn, and skin cancer. What is the difference between chemical and physical sunscreens? Chemical sunscreens work like a sponge, absorbing the sun’s rays. They contain one or more of the following ingredients: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate. These are often easier to rub into the skin without a white cast. Physical sunscreens (aka mineral sunscreens) act like a shield, sitting on the surface of your skin and deflecting the sun’s rays. These can come on white. They have the active ingredients zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide Reapply every 2 hours when outside in the sun ☀️ Some of my favorites: Tinted: Cerave tinted, la roche posay tinted, alastin CeraVe - Face Sheer Tint Hydrating Sunscreen SPF 30 LA ROCHE-POSAY - Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid SPF 50 ALASTIN SKINCARE - HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36 Not tinted: colorescience, drunk elephant colorescience - Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Shield SPF 50 Sunscreen DRUNK ELEPHANT - Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 What’s your favorite sunscreen?
My AM routine while rocking cherie merch!
@cheriethanks for the cute sweatshirt! I am obsessed. Here is my am routine! sisley - FLORAL TONING LOTION First I tone and prep my skin with this toner. I love this toner so much because it is so hydrating and doesn’t strip the skin. It also moisturizes while helping to clean and prep it to absorb other products. NATURIUM - Hyaluronic Acid Essence 2% Then I use this essence. I love this brand so much and this essence is so hydrating and light. It helps plump and prepares it for the serum. NATURIUM - Niacinamide Serum 12% Plus Zinc 2% Next I use this serum which I have been enjoying. It is super gentle that I can even use it during the day. So far my skin has been tolerating it very well. I also notice my dark spots decreasing much quicker. LORD JONES - Acid Mantle Repair CBD Moisturizer Then I use this moisturizer that I am obsessed with. It so far has been my favorite product of the year. It’s so hydrating and calming. It feels amazing on the skin as well. Last I finish off with a sunscreen. I previously reviewed this before! It’s from Korean brand Corthe. ^^ what do you like to do in your morning routine?
Share your story in 🏷 Beauty Thanks
❤️We are so moved and inspired by our creators’ stories and so grateful that cherie could accompany them on their beauty journeys during this tough time. Check out these creators’ posts and share your own story in 🏷 Beauty Thanks with the community! Creator: @MelaninSkinCareAddict “I’m very thankful for the beauty on the inside. This has been a tough year for me as an ICU nurse fighting covid. I can't even begin to tell you about the awful things I have seen but I will tell you that my coworkers have so much beauty on the inside…” Creator: @RedheadSkincare “This year I’m very thankful for my father’s health (everyone in my family honestly). I’ve been so worried about him due to the fact that he has Parkinson’s. I am thankful that he’s been feeling okay. I’m also thankful that I get to be apart of the Cherie community…”
The Organic Skin Co.
Have you tried this brand yet. This brand is The Organic Skin. THE ORGANIC SKIN Co. - Cheeky Lips • This product is a blush and lip product. Versatile, multi-purpose blush Designed to provide a perfect natural flush and the pout to match. • Cheeky Lips comes in eight bangin’, long-lasting, highly pigmented colors. • Whether you’re looking for a soft pink blush for your cheeks and lips. • Organic castor seed oil and supercritical extracts of rosemary, pomegranate and calendula will help to replenish your cheeks and lips, keeping them smooth and healthy. 💭 I wasn't sure how to use this product when I first received it. The color is very pretty. The texture is soft and smooth. I used this on my lips. The color is very pigmented and long lasting. I tried this on my cheeks and wasn't a fan. It was too greasy for my liking. #The Organic Skin - Natural Lipstick[products]#[TwoStars] • This lipstick comes in 12 colors. With the added benefits of calendula and rosemary supercritical extracts, as well as nourishing organic oils and carnauba wax. Shades: Coral & Ruby Red 💭 I really wanted to like these lipsticks. The packaging is so pretty. The issue is the texture. These lipsticks are a little rough. I wasn't able to wear it by itself. You Definitely have to apply a gloss before using or it will break. Unfortunately it became to stressful to use. lol They wouldn't apply the right way. #The Organic Skin - TASK FORCE NINECALENDULA AND TURMERIC CREAM [products]#[FiveStars] • Infused with 9 active natural ingredients – aloe vera, jojoba seed oil, lemon peel oil, calendula, turmeric, rosemary, honeysuckle, vanilla, and seabuckthorn – this multi-tasking treatment cream has moisturizing, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. 💭 This is a nice everyday cream. The texture is nice and light. It leaves your skin smooth and moisturized. It's non-greasy and smells amazing. This cream is good for all skin types including sensitive skin. #The Organic Skin - The Eyes Have it[products]#[FourStars] • With 8 colors to choose from you can mix, match and blend our cream eye shadows. Highly pigmented, long-lasting, multi-hued, and full of supercritical extracts. How to use: Using your finger or an eye shadow brush, apply to your eyelids. Shades: Greenstone & Silhouette 💭 These are really nice eyeshadows especially if you like cream shadows. It's easy to apply and the texture is smooth. Once these shadows dry down, they stay in place. My issue was on of the shadows was hard. It kept rolling up as I was trying to get it out of the package. The shades are very pretty especially greenstone. It's very pigmented. I'm not sure if I would purchase any of these products. Your thoughts? (Gifted) #whoisnee #cheriecreator
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18
The BEST Black Friday Beauty Picks‘Tis the season for clear skin and shiny hair! We’ve curated the ultimate Black Friday Beauty Wishlist with every beauty essential you’ll need for a head-to-toe holiday glow.Nov. 20