Say No to Dandruff with These Easy And Simple to Use Home Remedies
Aug. 28, 2020
Although dandruff is a common phenomenon that affects about half the adult population around the globe, it is still not such a big deal and can easily be understood and managed if not cured. It rings an alarm for many as it is quite embarrassing to have flakes in your hair or on your shoulders and if left unchecked, it can result in serious scalp disorders and hair problems.
Let us have a detailed look at what causes dandruff and what can we do to prevent it and keep it under control.
Symptoms of Dandruff:
Dandruff is quite easy to identify; look for while scaly flakes on your scalp and hair on your head. You may also find them on your shoulders or even on your eyebrows, or beard/facial hair (for men). They may also appear as fine white particles on the top of your clothes which is an indicator of the problem setting its roots. The symptoms can vary depending upon the weather, environment, and even your mental stress levels.
Causes of Dandruff:
Normal dandruff is also considered as a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. Also, Malassezia, a form of yeast-like fungus that is generally present on the scalp can be responsible for dandruff. It can cause oily scalp and hair along with scaly patches or flakes with increased irritation on the scalp that may result in itchiness.
There are also several other causes of dandruff which include:
- Oily scalp and hair. People with oily scalp and hair are more prone to dandruff in comparison to people with a more balanced scalp. Similarly, people who have excessively dry or irritated scalp are also prone to developing dandruff.
- Not shampooing regularly is also a cause for the development of dandruff. In many cases, using an anti-dandruff shampoo regularly is all it takes to eliminate or keep dandruff in check.
- Some neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease and suppressed immune system can also result in dandruff.
- Hormonal disturbance is among the main culprits that can cause dandruff from a young age. This is commonly observed in kids hitting puberty or adults suffering from hormonal disorders.
- Dandruff is also associated with increased mental stress or certain illnesses (illnesses that can cause a weakened immune system).
- Haircare products with certain ingredients can cause an allergic reaction for some individuals that can result in dandruff.
Additionally, age is a factor when it comes to dandruff. People susceptible to dandruff usually develop it an early age which continues for them throughout their middle age. Also, males are more likely to develop dandruff in comparison to females due to larger sebaceous glands and the effect of testosterone and DHT on scalp and hair.
Treatment of Dandruff:
We will start with a few essential tips that can help in better management of dandruff:
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle by making sure you get plenty of exercises and eat food rich in essential vitamins and nutrients that your body needs. Essential fatty acids, Zinc, and Vitamin-B (different variants) can help in keeping your scalp and hair healthy.
- Since stress is directly related to dandruff, learn to better manage it.
- Use a mild or antidandruff shampoo. Opt for a medicated shampoo if regular shampoos don’t seem to be doing it for you.
- Avoid using hair products such as gels, waxes, sprays, or mousses that can cause oil buildup on your scalp and expose your scalp to develop dandruff in the long run.
- Try using shampoos containing Zinc pyrithione, Tar, Selenium sulfide, or Ketoconazole as active ingredients.
The following simple remedies are sure to help you better manage your dandruff. Not only they are simple and easy, but anyone can try them:
- Coconut oil treatment can help you keep your scalp hydrated deeply which can decrease the creation of dandruff flakes.
- Using tea tree oil in combination with coconut oil can help in fighting against the micro-agents responsible for causing dandruff.
- Applying Aloe Vera as hair and scalp mask twice a week can greatly nurture your scalp and help in fighting dandruff.
- A diluted mixture of apple cider vinegar can restore the pH of your scalp and eliminate microbes responsible for causing dandruff.
- Drinking green tea regularly can also help in reducing dandruff and scalp irritation.
Wash away your dandruff by following the tips and remedies stated above. But in case nothing seems to be working, do visit a dermatologist to help you understand how you can better fight against dandruff.
Double Your Lash Length With Sky High Mascara!
I bought this mascara after seeing a post about it on Facebook. I love trying out new mascaras but rarely do I find one that I will use regularly like my beloved tarte - Maneater Mascara However this stuff is good. MAYBELLINE - Lash Sensational Sky High Waterproof Mascara It gave my lashes so much volume & length they literally doubled in size! My lashes are already pretty long to begin with but this made them look amazing. The photo is after applying only one coat so I can only imagine how good they will look after two or three coats! It also didn’t clump up my lashes at all. I applied it really quickly & lazily too because I was in a rush to get ready & I was still amazed! I honestly think this is going to be my new daily mascara. It is waterproof but not the annoying kind that leaves your eyes completely black when you go to take it off. It came off really easily with my POND'S - Facial Moisturizers Dry Skin Cream which is what I’ve always used to remove my eye makeup, since I was a kid! @cherie@Cheriebeauty@CheriePick
Drink of water for your skin!
We’re in the deep of winter and our skin get dehydrated and beaten by the harsh elements. Treat your skin to a pure drink of water that is based with pure Artic water —The ultra pure water that flows from the Arctic is known for its unique functional composition that’s buzzed about for helping to recharge dull-looking skin. By adding moisture back in helps fortify your skin and enhances skins’ luminosity. LUMENE - Nordic-C Glow Boost Essence Serum 30ml $12-$25 depends on size and retail. Based with pure artic spring water and two types o hyaluronic acids this serum is super emollient and hydrating. Love love love how gentle this formula is. LUMENE - Nordic C Valo Glow Lumenessence Brightening Beauty Lotion $14-$18 A gorgeous lightweight toning essence with pure artic water, hyaluronic acids and vitamin c rich berry complex. I love that it is gentle and not drying. 🐰 cruelty free and sustainably sourced
Clear Hydrated Skin The Clean Way✨
Staying in the trend of clean beauty, I have found an amazing product to add to my everyday routine. Odacité SKINCARE - Blue Aura Cleansing Water This is a cleansing water that is marketed to use in place of your cleanser for a “quick” clean. When looking for a good cleansing water, you want one that is hydrating and gets your face clean. Keep in mind not all cleansing waters are designed to clean makeup (I highly recommend a cleansing balm and cleanser). About This Brand: ✨Vegan ✨Cruelty Free ✨Certified Organic ✨ NO: Fillers | Parabens | Nanoparticles | Petrochemicals | PEG | Synthetic perfumes | Dyes | Phenoxyethanol. This cleansing water is so hydrating and satisfying to use. It smells very fresh and a little goes a long way. What is very important to me is my dry spot aren’t tight or irritated. I have been using this day and night and have seen amazing results acne and skin barrier wise. I included this in my routine after a regular cleanser and before my serums. So essentially, I use this as a “toner”. I do this to clean up anything my cleanse left behind, or the cleanser itself. INGREDIENTS: ✨Tumeric: Amazing for hyperpigmentation and overall skin brightness ✨Holy Basil: I drink the tea and can vouch this is an amazing adaptogen that can overall benefit every aspect of your life. It combats aging and free radical damage. ✨Neem: great anti aging ingredient that helps protects your skin barrier. ✨Aloe Vera Juice: this is great for your skin barrier overall. It hydrated, protects and brightens. I highly recommend this cleansing water and it is on sale for $9 at Boxycharm Pop Up 🥰🥰
At Home Exfoliating Facial ✨✨
So I recently received the Mimi Co Exfoliating Wand via IG PR. I couldn’t wait to do a full facial and I decided to do it tonight. Order: I purchased a steamer from Amazon for $23 and I’m obsessed with it (DM me for product info). I started with UpCircle - Cleansing Face Balm With Apricot Powder As my oil cleanse to get my sunscreen from today off and any other oils and dirts. INDIE LEE - Purifying Face Wash This cleanser is perfect for getting dirts and oils from skin as well. It’s not drying and it’s totally worth it! I paired it with a face cleansing scrub brush, I also purchased from Amazon. I love it and I paid around $20 for it as well! It doubles the vibration frequency put out by Foreo. CLARISMA - Namaste Glow Energizing Face Mask This was the mask I chose for the enzyme properties. This breaks down dirts and oils in pores and dead skin cells. I also steamed my face during this time. Follain - Toning Mist: Balance + Prime This was what I sprayed over my face for the prep for my exfoliating wand. I didn’t have a true medium and I am out of Aloe Vera plants so😭 I then exfoliated with my wand starting at my cheeks and working upward and then to my forehead. I went down and to the sides of my nose. Glow slow! innisfree - Jeju Lava Seawater Lotion I used the toner to cleanse my skin and get any dirts left over from me exfoliating. SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask I use this as my hydrating mask. I took the back of my Mimi Co Wand on switched to the Moisturizing Setting. I gently slid upwards my entire face for the last 2 mins only and then wiped the mask off with a damp cloth. earthtoskin - Tea Time Anti Aging Eye Cream This is the most hydrating eye cream I own. I used this with the back of my cleansing brush on the heat setting! Yes it made my eye feel so hydrated and relaxed. fresh - Lotus Anti-Aging Night Moisturizer This was the final step as a good moisturizer seals in everything! To prevent acne I use the SUNDAY RILEY - U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil as my last step. I didn’t use an astringent type toner, so I wanted to still treat my skin💚
We’ll Miss You!
To our cherie fam who has inspired us deeply over the last year and a half: thank you. We are so grateful to have been a part of your beauty journeys and the community you created with us was nothing short of amazing. It's with sadness that we announce that cherie will be closing our doors on April 8, 2021, and your posts will no longer be available. While our platform will no longer be available, we encourage our community members to continue finding ways to create and allow their authentic voices to be heard.
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24, 2020
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18, 2020
The Importance of Finding Your Skin ConfidenceCherie creator @Chardeny shares how she found confidence through her skincare journey.Feb. 4