The Top Causes of Frizzy Hair and How to Tame It
Aug. 28, 2020
Frizzy hair is every curly girl’s arch nemesis. It seems like no matter how much you try to tame your hair; it just turns into a lion’s mane. Whether it’s humidity, heat damage or no reason at all, we’ve all experienced a moment where our hair goes completely crazy with frizz. If this sounds familiar to you and you’re struggling with taming your frizzy hair, then this guide will help you deal with your unruly hair. The first step to taming frizzy hair is understanding it.
What is Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair is the hair that sticks out or curls away from the head. These smaller, dryer strands won’t stay put and tend to adopt a different texture from the rest of your hair resulting in a fuzzy or puffy look. Curly or kinky hair types are more prone to dry hair and therefor frizz. In fact, having textured hair almost always has some form of frizz. Although you may not be able to completely eliminate frizz, you can significantly reduce it by changing your haircare habits.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
The hair consists of three separate layers – the medulla, cortex and cuticle. The outer-most layer, the cuticle, is made of flat overlapping cells that closely resemble shingles on a roof. It is used as a protective shell for the inner layers as well as locking in moisture. When the hair is dry or damaged the cuticle becomes raised which makes it more susceptible to damage and frizz.
- Lack of Styling products – If you don’t have an arsenal of effective styling products, then it will be extremely difficult avoid frizz. There’s no need for an entire aisle of styling products but having a few good products that help to nourish your hair is essential when tackling frizz.
- Use of Hot Tools – Regularly using hot tools can cause significant damage to the cuticle further encouraging frizz.
- Over-Coloring the Hair – If you color your hair often, then the chemical damage from bleach and processing can affect the cuticle leading to more frizz.
- Over-Shampooing – Washing the hair is necessary to get rid of dirt and debris but cleansing too often can lead to damage. Shampooing can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause the hair to become dry, frizzy and tangled.
- Weather – When it’s hot and humid, there tends to be a lot of moisture in the air which causes the hair to absorb moisture. The hair swells causing it to bend and become frizzy.
- Sun Damage – The sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause discoloration, brittleness, damage and frizz.
- Friction – Using towels to dry the hair and sleeping on cotton pillowcases can enhance frizz due to its drying properties. Wearing tight hats or other head coverings can also damage the cuticle and lead to frizz.
- Underlying health Conditions – Many health issues can contribute to dry and frizzy hair. Eating disorders and thyroid disorders are just a couple conditions that can negatively affect the health of the hair.
Treating Frizzy Hair
- Find the Right Shampoo and Conditioner – Shampoo and conditioner play important roles in your hair care routine. Shampoo helps to keep the hair clean while conditioner moisturizes and detangles. It’s important to find a shampoo that does not strip your hair of its natural oils and a conditioner that provides intense hydration. Products that include hair friendly oils like argan oil or coconut oil are the perfect option.
- Use a Serum or Hair Mask – Since frizz stems from dryness, adding more moisture into your routine can help to prevent excessive frizz. Serums coat your hair and protect it from damage while hair masks provide hydration. This prevents the cuticle from opening up losing moisture.
- Air Dry or Use a Diffuser – If you use blow dryers to dry your hair, try air drying if possible. If you must use a blow dryer, try adding a diffuser to reduce damage. When drying the hair try using a microfiber towel rather than a regular one as this reduces friction.
- Add Hair Oils – Hair oils are great at tackling frizz because they keep the hair moist. There are a number of oils that help to reduce frizz including coconut oil, olive oil, argan oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Double Your Lash Length With Sky High Mascara!
I bought this mascara after seeing a post about it on Facebook. I love trying out new mascaras but rarely do I find one that I will use regularly like my beloved tarte - Maneater Mascara However this stuff is good. MAYBELLINE - Lash Sensational Sky High Waterproof Mascara It gave my lashes so much volume & length they literally doubled in size! My lashes are already pretty long to begin with but this made them look amazing. The photo is after applying only one coat so I can only imagine how good they will look after two or three coats! It also didn’t clump up my lashes at all. I applied it really quickly & lazily too because I was in a rush to get ready & I was still amazed! I honestly think this is going to be my new daily mascara. It is waterproof but not the annoying kind that leaves your eyes completely black when you go to take it off. It came off really easily with my POND'S - Facial Moisturizers Dry Skin Cream which is what I’ve always used to remove my eye makeup, since I was a kid! @cherie@Cheriebeauty@CheriePick
Clear Hydrated Skin The Clean Way✨
Staying in the trend of clean beauty, I have found an amazing product to add to my everyday routine. Odacité SKINCARE - Blue Aura Cleansing Water This is a cleansing water that is marketed to use in place of your cleanser for a “quick” clean. When looking for a good cleansing water, you want one that is hydrating and gets your face clean. Keep in mind not all cleansing waters are designed to clean makeup (I highly recommend a cleansing balm and cleanser). About This Brand: ✨Vegan ✨Cruelty Free ✨Certified Organic ✨ NO: Fillers | Parabens | Nanoparticles | Petrochemicals | PEG | Synthetic perfumes | Dyes | Phenoxyethanol. This cleansing water is so hydrating and satisfying to use. It smells very fresh and a little goes a long way. What is very important to me is my dry spot aren’t tight or irritated. I have been using this day and night and have seen amazing results acne and skin barrier wise. I included this in my routine after a regular cleanser and before my serums. So essentially, I use this as a “toner”. I do this to clean up anything my cleanse left behind, or the cleanser itself. INGREDIENTS: ✨Tumeric: Amazing for hyperpigmentation and overall skin brightness ✨Holy Basil: I drink the tea and can vouch this is an amazing adaptogen that can overall benefit every aspect of your life. It combats aging and free radical damage. ✨Neem: great anti aging ingredient that helps protects your skin barrier. ✨Aloe Vera Juice: this is great for your skin barrier overall. It hydrated, protects and brightens. I highly recommend this cleansing water and it is on sale for $9 at Boxycharm Pop Up 🥰🥰
At Home Exfoliating Facial ✨✨
So I recently received the Mimi Co Exfoliating Wand via IG PR. I couldn’t wait to do a full facial and I decided to do it tonight. Order: I purchased a steamer from Amazon for $23 and I’m obsessed with it (DM me for product info). I started with UpCircle - Cleansing Face Balm With Apricot Powder As my oil cleanse to get my sunscreen from today off and any other oils and dirts. INDIE LEE - Purifying Face Wash This cleanser is perfect for getting dirts and oils from skin as well. It’s not drying and it’s totally worth it! I paired it with a face cleansing scrub brush, I also purchased from Amazon. I love it and I paid around $20 for it as well! It doubles the vibration frequency put out by Foreo. CLARISMA - Namaste Glow Energizing Face Mask This was the mask I chose for the enzyme properties. This breaks down dirts and oils in pores and dead skin cells. I also steamed my face during this time. Follain - Toning Mist: Balance + Prime This was what I sprayed over my face for the prep for my exfoliating wand. I didn’t have a true medium and I am out of Aloe Vera plants so😭 I then exfoliated with my wand starting at my cheeks and working upward and then to my forehead. I went down and to the sides of my nose. Glow slow! innisfree - Jeju Lava Seawater Lotion I used the toner to cleanse my skin and get any dirts left over from me exfoliating. SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask I use this as my hydrating mask. I took the back of my Mimi Co Wand on switched to the Moisturizing Setting. I gently slid upwards my entire face for the last 2 mins only and then wiped the mask off with a damp cloth. earthtoskin - Tea Time Anti Aging Eye Cream This is the most hydrating eye cream I own. I used this with the back of my cleansing brush on the heat setting! Yes it made my eye feel so hydrated and relaxed. fresh - Lotus Anti-Aging Night Moisturizer This was the final step as a good moisturizer seals in everything! To prevent acne I use the SUNDAY RILEY - U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil as my last step. I didn’t use an astringent type toner, so I wanted to still treat my skin💚
Do It All Toner 🍃🍃
I have been loving the brand Truly lately ✨ I recently purchased this: 🍃TRULY - CBD Jelly Toning Solution 🍃 And it’s by far one of my favorite toners. Ingredients: 💚100MG CBD 💚Glycolic Acid 💚Tea Tree Oil 💚Organic Aloe 💚Rose Petal Extract This brand is also: 💚Vegan 💚Cruelty Free 💚Clean I use this every other night and it as tremendously helped my skin barrier and acne. I was really concerned about the glycolic acid irritating or drying my skin but it didn’t at all 🤩 I highly recommend this to combo and oily , acne prone skin. This will be a toner I keep in my night routine. I got it from Ulta (of course) for $24 (I paid $15 after coupons) Do you use CBD products? 🍃
Black Owned Makeup Look
So I decided to use the products I pictured in my first photo (minus my highlight shade and lipstick) I used the #Ace Beaute - Nostalgia Palette[products]#[FiveStars] for my entire eye look. I definitely enjoyed these products. My only advice is to shake the UOMA BEAUTY - Say What?! Foundation before use (because it can come out watery) but the coverage is absolutely flawless. I was shocked with the consistency the coverage I got. What’s your favorite black owned brands? (I do not own right to the song)
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24, 2020
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18, 2020
This Black-Owned CBD Line Puts Community At The Center of WellnessCBD that is compassionate, effective, and gives back to the community? Yes, please!Feb. 5