The Top Causes of Frizzy Hair and How to Tame It
Frizzy hair is every curly girl’s arch nemesis. It seems like no matter how much you try to tame your hair; it just turns into a lion’s mane. Whether it’s humidity, heat damage or no reason at all, we’ve all experienced a moment where our hair goes completely crazy with frizz. If this sounds familiar to you and you’re struggling with taming your frizzy hair, then this guide will help you deal with your unruly hair. The first step to taming frizzy hair is understanding it.
What is Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair is the hair that sticks out or curls away from the head. These smaller, dryer strands won’t stay put and tend to adopt a different texture from the rest of your hair resulting in a fuzzy or puffy look. Curly or kinky hair types are more prone to dry hair and therefor frizz. In fact, having textured hair almost always has some form of frizz. Although you may not be able to completely eliminate frizz, you can significantly reduce it by changing your haircare habits.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
The hair consists of three separate layers – the medulla, cortex and cuticle. The outer-most layer, the cuticle, is made of flat overlapping cells that closely resemble shingles on a roof. It is used as a protective shell for the inner layers as well as locking in moisture. When the hair is dry or damaged the cuticle becomes raised which makes it more susceptible to damage and frizz.
- Lack of Styling products – If you don’t have an arsenal of effective styling products, then it will be extremely difficult avoid frizz. There’s no need for an entire aisle of styling products but having a few good products that help to nourish your hair is essential when tackling frizz.
- Use of Hot Tools – Regularly using hot tools can cause significant damage to the cuticle further encouraging frizz.
- Over-Coloring the Hair – If you color your hair often, then the chemical damage from bleach and processing can affect the cuticle leading to more frizz.
- Over-Shampooing – Washing the hair is necessary to get rid of dirt and debris but cleansing too often can lead to damage. Shampooing can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause the hair to become dry, frizzy and tangled.
- Weather – When it’s hot and humid, there tends to be a lot of moisture in the air which causes the hair to absorb moisture. The hair swells causing it to bend and become frizzy.
- Sun Damage – The sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause discoloration, brittleness, damage and frizz.
- Friction – Using towels to dry the hair and sleeping on cotton pillowcases can enhance frizz due to its drying properties. Wearing tight hats or other head coverings can also damage the cuticle and lead to frizz.
- Underlying health Conditions – Many health issues can contribute to dry and frizzy hair. Eating disorders and thyroid disorders are just a couple conditions that can negatively affect the health of the hair.
Treating Frizzy Hair
- Find the Right Shampoo and Conditioner – Shampoo and conditioner play important roles in your hair care routine. Shampoo helps to keep the hair clean while conditioner moisturizes and detangles. It’s important to find a shampoo that does not strip your hair of its natural oils and a conditioner that provides intense hydration. Products that include hair friendly oils like argan oil or coconut oil are the perfect option.
- Use a Serum or Hair Mask – Since frizz stems from dryness, adding more moisture into your routine can help to prevent excessive frizz. Serums coat your hair and protect it from damage while hair masks provide hydration. This prevents the cuticle from opening up losing moisture.
- Air Dry or Use a Diffuser – If you use blow dryers to dry your hair, try air drying if possible. If you must use a blow dryer, try adding a diffuser to reduce damage. When drying the hair try using a microfiber towel rather than a regular one as this reduces friction.
- Add Hair Oils – Hair oils are great at tackling frizz because they keep the hair moist. There are a number of oils that help to reduce frizz including coconut oil, olive oil, argan oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Tips from a dermatologist on sunscreen ☀️
Let’s talk about sunscreen ☀️ What’s a good sunscreen to wear? One that is: * Broad-spectrum protection (protects against UVA and UVB rays) * SPF 30 or higher * Water resistant This will help protect your skin from early skin aging, sunburn, and skin cancer. What is the difference between chemical and physical sunscreens? Chemical sunscreens work like a sponge, absorbing the sun’s rays. They contain one or more of the following ingredients: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate. These are often easier to rub into the skin without a white cast. Physical sunscreens (aka mineral sunscreens) act like a shield, sitting on the surface of your skin and deflecting the sun’s rays. These can come on white. They have the active ingredients zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide Reapply every 2 hours when outside in the sun ☀️ Some of my favorites: Tinted: Cerave tinted, la roche posay tinted, alastin CeraVe - Face Sheer Tint Hydrating Sunscreen SPF 30 LA ROCHE-POSAY - Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid SPF 50 ALASTIN SKINCARE - HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36 Not tinted: colorescience, drunk elephant colorescience - Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Shield SPF 50 Sunscreen DRUNK ELEPHANT - Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 What’s your favorite sunscreen?
Kylie x Grinch - Worth the Hype?
Review time!!! I just received the entire Kylie Cosmetics Grinch Collection in the mail this week & I want to break down each product and tell you what I loved and didn’t love. Palette: I’m not one that reaches for tons of colour usually but all the greens in this palette are gorgeous! There’s a mix of matte and shimmer shades, and as usual, the shadows blend like a dream! The good thing about this palette is that there are still some neutral shades rather than just greens. I definitely appreciate the mixture of shades. Shadow Sticks: The Kylie shadow sticks are probably one of my favourite products they have ever released. They are so extremely pigmented, and so easy to apply. They’re basically fool proof, and they set as a shadow. If you haven’t tried them out, I highly suggest you do! In this collection we have a super pretty light shimmery green, light gold, and two rosy toned shadow sticks. Shimmer Eye Glazes: This product is insane. They are a super intensely pigmented eyeshadow that leaves the lids looking wet & dripping in glitter! One swipe of these on the lid is literally all you need for that intense shimmer. If you’re someone who loves super shimmery eyeshadow, I recommend giving the Kylie Cosmetics Shimmer Eye Glazes a try. This collection came with 2 shades: a minty turquoise green and a gold - & I’m obsessed and so happy to be adding these to my collection!! Olive Kyliner: My go to liquid liner is the black Kyliner, so i wasn’t surprised when i loved the easy application and long wearing quality of this olive Kyliner! The liner applies a lighter olive green and dries down to a deeper olive shade. It’s definitely not something I’d reach for everyday, although it’s definitely cute for the holidays or even for a pop of colour to a neutral eye! Blush: I am a huge fan of the Kylie Cosmetics Blushes as opposed to the other blushes I’ve tried from the brand this one had some shimmer in it! It’s quite similar to the NARS “orgasm” blush but with a stronger pink hue. I love the shimmer in it, it adds a pretty glow to the cheeks, perfect for the holidays.. or any day really :P Highlight: Def on theme, but probably my least favourite product in of the collection :( Don’t get me wrong, it’s super blinding and glowy. Although, once I applied to my face it showed off as very green. Personally I don’t want a green glow on my face! But hey, if that’s your vibe that’s cool! Definitely not a highlight I’d reach for everyday. Lip Kit: Obsessed. This red is EVERYTHING! This Lip Kit is one of the best reds I have ever tried. It has a matte finish and is extremely long wearing. I know it’s sold out but a similar shade would be “BOSS” by Kylie. Lipsticks: These shades are gorg for the holidays and I love the shade range! Long wearing & comfortable on the lips. High Glosses: Kylies high glosses are high shine, but very sticky! So if you’re not a fan of sticky glosses you won’t love these. These shades are perf for the holidays and everyday!
Join the trending topic 🏷 Beauty Thanks
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, cherie would love to know what you are thankful for this year! 💜 Whether its your full cheeks that remind you of your mother, or your curly hair that expresses your personality, share it on cherie <3 What beauty item, goal, or experience are you thankful for this year? Tell us in the trending topic 🏷 Beauty Thanks ✨What is something new you learned about beauty this year, whether it is a beauty aesthetic, an innovative product, a skincare ingredient, or a wellness habit? 💫What is your experience? Do you have a routine to achieve the beauty goal?
The Best Highlighter Ever?!
Alright.. I’ve never been someone who’s loved a super intense highlight, I’ve always preferred a matte face. But I’ve recently tried out this Jouer Cosmetics highlighter in the shade “Citrine” (mind you, it comes in a set with a lip oil for only $25!!!!) I think I’ve changed my mind on highlighter.... This is by far the best highlighter I have ever tried! It claims to give a “glow-from-within” finish, and ITS TRUE! It’s like real life face tune (seriously!!!) If you’re like me and you prefer that flawless, soft-focus glow, you will love this highlighter. It doesn’t have any chunky glitter, but It definitely is still blinding. The finish is definitely not like any other highlighter i’ve tried. Highly, highly recommend! *I’ve included a photo with flash, without flash, and what it looks like on!*
Is this sunscreen worth the hype?
There is 𝗻𝗼 𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗺𝗲𝗻 without 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻. And, the 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻 is the one that you will wear religiously. Is 𝗜𝗦𝗗𝗜𝗡 𝗘𝗿𝘆𝗳𝗼𝘁𝗼𝗻𝗮 𝗔𝗴𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗨𝗹𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 tinted mineral sunscreen worth the hype? #Isdin - ISDIN Eryfotona Ageless Ultralight tinted mineral sunscreen[products]#[FourStars] Pros ☀️ 𝗠𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗹 sunscreen aka physical blocker, thus broad spectrum ☀️ Contains 𝗶𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝘅𝗶𝗱𝗲𝘀, though unclear of percent. May provide protection against blue light. ☀️ One of the few tinted moisturizers that blends in well in skin of color. The tint is so homogenous and nice that you can away with not applying foundation after. ☀️ Contains 𝗽𝗵𝗼𝘁𝗼𝗹𝘆𝗮𝘀𝗲, an enzyme, that help repair damage caused by the sun. Not too thick or too thin, apply easily on the skin. ☀️ contains 𝗩𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗻 𝗘, an antioxidant as well as moisturizing Cons 🥴 𝗢𝗶𝗹𝘆, would not recommend for oily skin 😱 $$$ 𝗘𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲, it is definitely a splurge when there are comparable more frugal options out there.
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18
The Eczema Edit—Your Eczema Starter Kit We just concluded Eczema Awareness Month! Here are my tried & true favorites for treating my eczema.Nov. 2