Everything I Learned from Trying the Wet Look on Type 4 Natural Hair
Jul. 28, 2020
The wet look has become a trend with celebrities and influencers alike and everyone with curly hair has been trying it out. What is the wet look? If you have no idea what the wet look is, it’s a style that makes your look wet when it’s actually dry. This looks can be achieved by applying copious amounts of hair products such as gel, mousse and creams. This Weighs your hair down creating a slick look. Once the products dry, your hair will keep that signature wet and wavy look.
I started out with clean, freshly washed and conditioned hair. I started working in small sections and kept a spray bottle near in order to keep my hair saturated. I started out with a curling custard in order to keep my hair moisturized and clicked down, then detangled and worked the product in using a comb. I started applying the gel working my way up from the back. I used a maximum hold gel for extra hold. I then used an oil mixture to spray on my hair for that shiny look. My mixture consisted of sweet almond oil and an essential oil like lavender oil. I used some edge control to style my baby hairs, then wrapped them with a satin scarf for a few minutes. I let my hair air dry and sprayed it with oil to restore shine.
What Did I learn?
- Don’t be afraid of using too much product – After letting my hair dry, I realized using a little more product would have given me a better result and helped my hair lay a little flatter. Although I would never regularly be so heavy handed with gels and mousses, it’s almost necessary for this style. Next time I try this style out, I’ll be saturating every strand with product.
- Hair density/texture matters – This look has been attempted on many different hair densities and textures and I’ve personally seen the best results on low-density, thin hair. High-density, thick hair just doesn’t hang the same way low-density hair does regardless of how much product you use. This doesn’t mean you can’t try this style if you have thick hair, just remember that you probably won’t achieve that super flat, sleek look you’re going for. Thick hair is great for more voluminous styles, but when it comes to a more slicked back, weighed down look hair density makes a huge difference in the results.
- Invest in a hooded dryer – While sitting there for hours waiting for my hair to dry, I realized that a hooded dryer may not be a bad idea. If you have thick, curly hair then you understand the pain of waiting for your hair to dry. Just imagine how much longer that would take when you add tons of product on top of it. Even after a few days, underneath my hair was still damp! Using a hooded dryer helps the style set much faster and stay in place.
- Don’t be afraid to adjust the method – Everyone’s hair reacts differently to products and some may only need two products while others need five. There are so many variations to the wet look method and understanding your hair will help you know what will work for you. Make sure to listen to your hair and change the method if needed. Styling natural hair is not a one-size-fits-all, each hair type needs different products, methods and styling tools to get similar results.
- Your hair won’t always do what you want – Everyone’s hair is unique and that means you may not end up with the look you wanted. Although my hair did not lay as flat as I wanted or stay shiny as long as I wanted it to, that doesn’t mean my hair is less than. Type 4 hair can achieve plenty of other beautiful styles that other hair types can’t. It’s important that you accept your hair for what it can do and explore the styles you love.
A Journey of Self 🌹
I figured Black History Month was as good as any opportunity to talk about my self finding. Growing up in a small yet old family, I always had questions about my roots and family history. I also struggled with self conscious doubts about my appearance. Why is my nose this big? Why is my hair this curly? Why am I taller than average? These weighed heavy on my mind growing up because honestly, sticking out sucked. So, I finally dove deep into my family’s origin and decided to do an Ancestry DNA analysis. I immersed myself with every corner of the site. I only got the chance to finish my maternal grandmas side of the family tree, but even that has plenty of gaps. Yet, when I received my DNA results I was stoked. Then I realized, I don’t know much about any of these places. So I dug even deeper. I have a little journal of things I’ve learned and want to know, but this was quite the experience. It was heartbreaking and satisfying at the same time. I highly recommend for every race and background to do this DNA Test. The best part of this was scrolling through photos of the people of the respected countries I was DNA matched to. I swear I saw a girl who looked like me, but everyone else thinks I’m tripping lol. In the end, I’m satisfied with my results and findings. Relatively speaking, this way of self discovery has been the most effective.
Do It All Toner 🍃🍃
I have been loving the brand Truly lately ✨ I recently purchased this: 🍃TRULY - CBD Jelly Toning Solution 🍃 And it’s by far one of my favorite toners. Ingredients: 💚100MG CBD 💚Glycolic Acid 💚Tea Tree Oil 💚Organic Aloe 💚Rose Petal Extract This brand is also: 💚Vegan 💚Cruelty Free 💚Clean I use this every other night and it as tremendously helped my skin barrier and acne. I was really concerned about the glycolic acid irritating or drying my skin but it didn’t at all 🤩 I highly recommend this to combo and oily , acne prone skin. This will be a toner I keep in my night routine. I got it from Ulta (of course) for $24 (I paid $15 after coupons) Do you use CBD products? 🍃
My Farewell To Cherie
Follow me on Ig for more skincare since Cherie is leaving 😭 @naturedskinv This has been an amazing journey and I’ve made soo many amazing friends. Thank you for all the love, conversations, and just overall happiness I’ve experienced on this app. I’m definitely sad, a little upset, and a dash of confused, but thank you @cheriefor giving me such an amazing confidence boost and guidance. The way the app shaped my thoughts on skincare has been insane. I’m still willing to forget this and call it a joke if y’all are! 😭 Anyways thank you again and hopefully we can stay in touch 🙏🏾
Drunk Elephant- The Littles 🐘
I won this cute little kit in a raffle & I couldn’t be more thankful! I have always wanted to try these products but never wanted to spend the money on all of them incase I didn’t like them! Inside this kit are the following products: DRUNK ELEPHANT - Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser Deluxe Sample DRUNK ELEPHANT - B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - Protini Polypeptide Cream DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Tango Multivitamin Eye Cream DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma Vitamin C Day Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil DRUNK ELEPHANT - Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 That’s literally a whole skincare routine! So far I started out my day with one of Drunk Elephants infamous “Face Smoothies” I washed my face with Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser & then combined C-Firma Day Serum, Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil, & Protini Polypeptide Cream together on my mixing trey with a disposable skincare spatula! I applied it all over my face & neck. Once that absorbed, I applied Umbra Tinte Daily Defense SPF 30 over my face & neck & was done! I love how the kit comes with steps to walk you through different routines you can use in the morning or at night! I will do a follow up review after I have used all the products for a few weeks! But so far, my skin feels & looks great! I have been breaking out lately & haven’t felt the best about my skin so I really needed this pick me up!! Thank you for reading! You guys are the best!! ❤️ @cherie@Cheriebeauty@CheriePick
At Home Exfoliating Facial ✨✨
So I recently received the Mimi Co Exfoliating Wand via IG PR. I couldn’t wait to do a full facial and I decided to do it tonight. Order: I purchased a steamer from Amazon for $23 and I’m obsessed with it (DM me for product info). I started with UpCircle - Cleansing Face Balm With Apricot Powder As my oil cleanse to get my sunscreen from today off and any other oils and dirts. INDIE LEE - Purifying Face Wash This cleanser is perfect for getting dirts and oils from skin as well. It’s not drying and it’s totally worth it! I paired it with a face cleansing scrub brush, I also purchased from Amazon. I love it and I paid around $20 for it as well! It doubles the vibration frequency put out by Foreo. CLARISMA - Namaste Glow Energizing Face Mask This was the mask I chose for the enzyme properties. This breaks down dirts and oils in pores and dead skin cells. I also steamed my face during this time. Follain - Toning Mist: Balance + Prime This was what I sprayed over my face for the prep for my exfoliating wand. I didn’t have a true medium and I am out of Aloe Vera plants so😭 I then exfoliated with my wand starting at my cheeks and working upward and then to my forehead. I went down and to the sides of my nose. Glow slow! innisfree - Jeju Lava Seawater Lotion I used the toner to cleanse my skin and get any dirts left over from me exfoliating. SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask I use this as my hydrating mask. I took the back of my Mimi Co Wand on switched to the Moisturizing Setting. I gently slid upwards my entire face for the last 2 mins only and then wiped the mask off with a damp cloth. earthtoskin - Tea Time Anti Aging Eye Cream This is the most hydrating eye cream I own. I used this with the back of my cleansing brush on the heat setting! Yes it made my eye feel so hydrated and relaxed. fresh - Lotus Anti-Aging Night Moisturizer This was the final step as a good moisturizer seals in everything! To prevent acne I use the SUNDAY RILEY - U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil as my last step. I didn’t use an astringent type toner, so I wanted to still treat my skin💚
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24, 2020
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18, 2020
3a - 4a Curly Hair Tips From Team Cherie Calling all curly girls! Team cherie shares some of their favorite ways to take care of their natural curls.Dec. 23, 2020