How to get the most out of your type 4A natural hair
Jul. 22, 2020
To find the best treatment for different hair types, celebrity hairstylist Andre Walker devised the Hair Typing System, categorizing hair from 1 (straight, curl resistant), through to 4 (coiled, kinky hair). If it’s good enough for Oprah, it’s good enough for us!
Type 4 hair get progressively curlier, from 4A (very curly) to 4C (the very tightest coils). Here we focus on the characteristics of type 4A natural hair, and how to treat it to get the absolute best from those gorgeous curls.
What is type 4A natural hair?
Type 4A hair has a well-defined curl structure, with an S-shaped pattern. Its cylindrical coils are usually the width of a pencil, and many women, primarily black women, have this type of hair.
4A hair has a corkscrew texture that tends to retain moisture well and it’s therefore less prone to shrinkage than the curlier type 4 categories. It does tend to be prone to dryness and can easily become dehydrated, tangled, or damaged. However, when it is properly cared for with the right products, type 4A looks stunning, with beautiful soft, shiny and well-defined curls.
Treatment tips for 4a natural hair
- Shampoo – do not, I repeat do not, wash type 4A hair every day! Try not to wash it more than twice a week, using a shampoo for damaged hair, ideally one that is sulfate-free, to avoid stripping your hair of its natural oils. For best results, run your fingers through your curls before washing to loosen and separate.
- Conditioner – type 4A hair can be prone to dryness, so needs plenty of moisture, otherwise it is likely to get damaged and break. Due the shape of the hair strands, the natural oil from your scalp cannot coat the entire length of your hair, so it helps to focus on the ends. Natural leave-in conditioners are particularly good for your curls.
- Protect from heat – if you do use heated styling aids and hair dryers, make sure you use a heat protectant product to minimize damage. Better still, let your hair dry naturally from time to time, and dry on a low setting using a hood dryer or diffuser. Pat your hair first to remove excess moisture, using a t-shirt rather than a towel to avoid frizz.
- Gently separate your curls – avoid brushing, as it can damage and break the hair, leading to hair loss. Instead, separate your wet curls gently using your fingers, or carefully section using a wide-toothed comb.
- Use a cream plus oil – rub a dollop of curl cream through your wet hair, to add another layer of moisture. Seal it in with a layer of oil – try caster oil, coconut, jojoba, olive or avocado, as they are packed full of vital nutrients. Keep reapplying oil as required, particularly to the ends.
- Define your curls – gels or serums can be used to separate and define your curls. Apply with your fingers taking care not to
- Protein masks – use every 2-4 weeks, to strengthen and protect your curls. But be careful to condition sufficiently as protein treatments can be drying.
- Night-time care – to protect your curls while you sleep, consider using a silk or satin pillowcase, or wrapping your hair in a silk scarf. Cotton pillowcases can be abrasive to your curls, causing them to become frizzy. You can also sleep with your hair in a pineapple up-do to protect it from tugs and tangles.
Give your type 4A some loving care by following these tips, and your hair is sure to love you back and repay you by looking its best!
💄Share your favs in 🏷 Lip Gloss Mania
There's no doubt that a lip gloss could give a wash of light color while still being versatile enough to go with the rest of our makeup look. Notice how the gloss also defines our lips and gives them volume? More and more beauty brands are improving their formulas, maximizing their shine, and creating tubes of gloss that are more irresistible, and we are 100 percent here for them! What are your favorite lip glosses? Share them with us in 🏷 Lip Gloss Mania
My Top 5 Foundations for Oily Skin
Here are my top 5 foundations for oily/combination/acne prone skin! These are by no means my only favorite foundations, just the ones I keep going back to. 1. ESTĒE LAUDER - Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation This matte, oil-free foundation controls oil all day. It’s sweat, heat and humidity-resistant, waterproof and 24-hour colour true. With buildable, medium-to-full coverage that feels lightweight and so comfortable. No touchups needed. Best for hot weather/ holidays. The only Downside is that it doesn’t come with a pump 2. MAYBELLINE - Fit Me! Matte & Poreless Foundation This foundation is a must have if you are looking for a good drugstore option for oily skin. It’s super affordable and gives a beautiful finish without feeling heavy on the skin. 3. HUDA BEAUTY - Fauxfilter Foundation is perfect for you if you are looking for full coverage. Just a couple of pumps go a long way. However, the formula isn’t ideal for anyone with dry skin or for people sensitive to string fragrances. 4. L'ORÉAL - Infallible Pro-Matte Liquid Longwear Foundation This formula blends unbelievably well and you can build this to completely full coverage! ! I'm beyond impressed for this being drugstore. 5. The Ordinary - Colours Coverage Foundation with SPF 15 this is my everyday foundation and gives good enough coverage. I just have to mix two different shades to get my color as the range is quiet limited but for the price I pay, I don’t mind. Always stay away form words like “dewy”, “luminous”, “shiny” , “glowy” if you have oily skin. Let me know if you have any questions.
The best sunscreen for dry skin☀️
Y’all… Let me tell you how dry my skin gets. My skin gets so dry that it looks like my skin is actually flaking. I have struggled with dry skin my entire life and I hardly find any products that truly help my skin. I reached out to a friend who gave me a skin care routine and she suggested this sunscreen PURITO - Centella Green Level Unscented Sun SPF50+ it is honestly the best! Not only is it scent free but it hydrates my skin without burning it. I have high sensitivity to a lot of products and this is one that doesn’t make my skin irritated or break out. If you struggle with dry skin, try out this sunscreen! Not only does it help with the dryness but also you should always be protecting your face with sunscreen!!!
Preserving My Curls Overnight
This is how I preserve most of my hairstyles overnight! I hear many people complain about how their bonnet or scarf is always falling off their head and ending up on the floor once they wake up, I was having the same issue! That is when I decided to create a wrap that would stay on throughout the night while protecting your curls. I hand make them myself and sale on Etsy (link in my bio) if you are interested! 😊
this isn't a lipstick 👀💋
I did a little video with some of my favorite reds a little while ago, but I feel like NYX - Intense Butter Gloss in Apple Crisp deserves its own post! It's glossy, pigmented, AND affordable... we love to see it! 🙌🏾
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24, 2020
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18, 2020
This Anti-Inflammaging Serum Can Teach Your Skin How to Heal ItselfMeet Heraux (pronounced hero), the serum that just might save your skin.Dec. 31, 2020