How to Combat and Reduce Dark, Under Eye Circles👁
Uneven skin tones, puffiness, and dark circles can make anyone look older and more tired than they actually are. While sipping on an extra cup of coffee might wake you up, it will do nothing for the dark circles or the puff. Today, we are sharing how to reduce those pesky eye bags and ingredients to look out for in your skincare products.
We’ve all been there—staying up way too late binge watching a Netflix series, stressed out from a demanding job or just going through an extra anxiety inducing bout of time, (hello, global pandemic!) and it’s probably caused some under eye discoloration or puffiness. By now, you’ve probably taken to Google and searched through the countless ways on how to get rid of them. While some of the remedies may work short term, we know you want a cost-effective solution to depuff and restore.
The discoloring under your eyes is from a combination of things. Enlarged blood vessels, your skin's pigment, the thickness of your under eyes along with fluid retention in this area can all contribute to the dark purply-red, bruised appearance. While most often caused by lack of sleep, there are other occurrences that can contribute to them as well.
What Causes Under Eye Circles?
Diagnosing why you have under eye circles can be tricky. Many dermatologists blame sleeplessness, too much alcohol, dehydration, and a poor diet as leading contributors of under eye discoloration. Some suggest you may have a genetic predisposition to them. Yep, dark circles and puffiness can be inherited. You can thank mom and dad for that one! Other causes can include:
- Hay fever
- Contact dermatitis
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Consistent scratching or rubbing
- Increased sun exposure
How to Treat Under Eye Circles
Reducing the appearance of unsightly under eye circles can be achieved through a combination of treatments. This can include cosmetic procedures, healthy lifestyle changes and the use of high-quality skincare products targeted for your delicate under eye area. Dermatologists treatments like peels, lasers or fillers can all reduce the darkness, target the puffiness, and improve the hollow-like look. We recognize that cosmetic procedures like these aren’t for everyone, so if you’re looking to DIY it, we suggest incorporating under eye creams and smoothing skincare products to your beauty arsenal. For maximum lightening and brightening benefits here’s a checklist of useful ingredients to look for:
- Caffeine - when applied topically, caffeine gets to work on the top layer of your skin, constricting blood vessels, which in turn, will decrease the darkness and reduce the puff.
- Vitamin E - mixed with almond oil, this natural remedy can fight free radicals and reduce the signs of aging. Try massaging the solution into your under-eye skin overnight and rinsing with warm water in the morning.
- Hyaluronic acid - used in many procedures as a filler, you can find hyaluronic acid added into many skincare products. This ingredient hydrates and plumps, giving you a more youthful and glowing appearance.
- Aloe - a solution for a myriad of skin concerns, aloe vera works like magic to soothe dry, puffy under eyes. Use it overnight to naturally reduce discoloration and swelling.
- Dimethicone and cyclomethicone - these ingredients are emollients that fill in uneven texture and fine lines. Adding these ingredients to your daily routine will make your under eyes appear smoother and silkier.
- Retinol - when used regularly, retinol can stimulate collagen production. This can make your skin appear less thin, improve firmness, and reduce the darkness under your eyes. Look for retinol eye creams that are targeted for your delicate, under eye skin because some products can be irritating.
- Peptides - this ingredient has been shown to lighten dark spots while firming and smoothing. Peptides also have a lifting effect, perfect for tired eyes.
- Vitamin C and polyphenols - if you suffer from discoloration due rubbing or sun damage, vitamin C and polyphenols may be the answer. Products containing these beneficial ingredients have been shown to decrease skin pigmentation over time and reduce oxidative stress.
Alternative Ways to Reduce Under Eye Circles
If these under eye skin boosting ingredients aren’t cutting it, there’s a few other areas of your life you can focus on. Check out these affordable tips that work better than the cool cucumber trick:
- Sleep on your back with an extra pillow to reduce fluids from pooling around your eyes.
- If allergy related, try taking an antihistamine.
- Use a gentle makeup remover.
- Try caffeinated tea bags soaked in warm water on each eye for five minutes.
- Avoid eating excess salt, especially in processed foods.
- Stay hydrated.
- Always use SPF 30 or higher.
Incorporating these tips, tricks, and products into your skincare routine is easy, we promise! And remember, if all else fails, there is still makeup to conceal the darkness! Look for a concealer that is lightweight, combats redness and has added vitamin C. Remember to set your concealer and foundation with a translucent powder for all day staying power. What is your favorite product to reduce dark circles?
Is this sunscreen worth the hype?
There is 𝗻𝗼 𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗺𝗲𝗻 without 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻. And, the 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻 is the one that you will wear religiously. Is 𝗜𝗦𝗗𝗜𝗡 𝗘𝗿𝘆𝗳𝗼𝘁𝗼𝗻𝗮 𝗔𝗴𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗨𝗹𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 tinted mineral sunscreen worth the hype? #Isdin - ISDIN Eryfotona Ageless Ultralight tinted mineral sunscreen[products]#[FourStars] Pros ☀️ 𝗠𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗹 sunscreen aka physical blocker, thus broad spectrum ☀️ Contains 𝗶𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝘅𝗶𝗱𝗲𝘀, though unclear of percent. May provide protection against blue light. ☀️ One of the few tinted moisturizers that blends in well in skin of color. The tint is so homogenous and nice that you can away with not applying foundation after. ☀️ Contains 𝗽𝗵𝗼𝘁𝗼𝗹𝘆𝗮𝘀𝗲, an enzyme, that help repair damage caused by the sun. Not too thick or too thin, apply easily on the skin. ☀️ contains 𝗩𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗻 𝗘, an antioxidant as well as moisturizing Cons 🥴 𝗢𝗶𝗹𝘆, would not recommend for oily skin 😱 $$$ 𝗘𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲, it is definitely a splurge when there are comparable more frugal options out there.
🧡Creator Roundup 🏷 Beauty Year-in-review
Check out these creators’ profiles to see their beauty journeys in 2020! Creator: @Ren14 “What Stayed🍾Cooluli - Classic 4 Liter Small Mini Fridge Cooluli Skincare Fridge: I adore my little fridge! It feels so good to have chilled serums, especially in the morning! I love it so much that I’m thinking I’m going to get a bigger one so I can add more products in! Truly a must have for a skincare lover! Also, the fridge can warm up products too!” Creator:@LindseyRR “2020 is the year I think we all will remember forever. Everything in our lives changed and things have been incredibly difficult. The entire world had a health crisis, so many of our loved ones are no longer here. I myself am taking a journey with a health crisis of my own but as hard as 2020 has been, it has also been INCREDIBLE.” Creator: @briordan2000 “This year has definitely been a wild ride. I’ve learned so much more about my hair and skin in this last year than I ever thought I would or needed to know!“
Let’s learn a no heat style! ￼Start by gathering your hair to one side ￼Begin a rope braid in the front by twisting two pieces. Add hair to each section and twist again. Continue this pattern until you reach your ear. ￼Split the remaining hair into two. While holding the section pop index finger and thumb through. Grab through the other section and repeat! Secure with an elastic. Xo
GRWM! New products and some old!
Hello everyone! I did another GRWM using some new and old products! First I started off with a primer. I used e.l.f. - Poreless Putty Primer I was actually really surprised by this. It reminded me of Tachas silk canvas primer. It went on smoothly and did a good job of blurring my skin. I will say though after I looked at my makeup in the mirror up close it did settle a bit into my pores and my creases and was pretty noticeable. Overall I think this is a good product and will work for people with smoother skin. e.l.f. - 16HR Camo Concealer Then I used the elf concealer. I love this concealer. I’ve used it so many other times in my other videos. WINKY LUX - Diamond Powder Foundation Then I used the winky lux foundation. This actually went on so nicely and was super natural looking. I love how it’s so weightless and decreases shine. I would recommend this for people with oilier skin. the CRÈME shop - "Macro Brow" Angled Brow Pencil + Spooley Then i used macro brow. This is just to fill in the last bits of my eyebrow to look fuller. It’s easy to use and has a great price point. I just wish the pigment was a little easier to apply. You have to push so hard. RITUEL DE FILLE - Rare Light Crème Luminizer My favorite brand of highlighters ever. Just so pretty and pigmented. All natural and cruelty free. An amazing brand overall. 💞 fresh - Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 I used a tinted fresh lip treatment. Love the way they hydrate and the subtle color it gives off. They also smell and taste really good 😂. Hope you enjoyed getting ready with me! Let me know if you have any questions about the products I used.
✨Cute Bun Hairstyle✨
Hi Guys!!! I recently saw this scrolling on Pinterest and I wanted to recreate it! It’s SO easy and took about 5 minutes total!! It looks so fancy yet it’s so simple! I have medium to thin hair but this can work on pretty much all hair types! (: (tip: spray texture spray beforehand) this helps it stay in better!)☺️ HOW TO: -I like to pull my bangs out first (: - you’re going to section it as if you’re doing a half up half down hairstyle -then you’re going to start twisting that part of your hair -I twist it around like I’m doing a ballerina bun😅 -then I secure it with a hair tie ❤️ -you can leave like that! Or I like to pull it out a little so it’s more loose!✨😊
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18
Our Year in Review: Cherie 365We've grown so much as an app and a community over the last year! Here are some of our highlights.1 DAY AGO