💥How to Get Rid of Blackheads: 5 Ingredients to Effectively Fight Them
Jun. 18, 2020
Blackheads suck—we know. One of the most common skincare issues, blackheads, or “open comedones”, affect over 50 million people in the US. If you’re one of the many searching for a way to banish the blemishes for good, we are now sharing how to do it and what ingredients to include in your routine.
While some enjoy popping pimples and others are repulsed by it, one thing is true—blackheads are stubborn, annoying, and they almost always come back like that annoying ex. If you’re just about ready to give up on these bothersome bumps, don’t! We went to work to find the safest and most effective methods to get rid of them for good, without squeezing or popping anything. But first, in order to pulverize your pustules, you need to understand what they are and what causes them.
What Are Blackheads and What Causes Them?
Blackheads appear as small bumps, usually on the nose, that are dark in color. Caused by clogged hair follicles, they turn black once the mixture of oil and dead skin cells is exposed to air. The technical term is open comedone, literally meaning an open acne lesion. The opening refers to the hair follicle that contains one hair and a sebaceous gland. Once the mixture of bacteria, oil and dead skin sits in that opening and oxidizes, it produces a tiny bump called a comedo. Gross, we know. Despite their color, blackheads have nothing to do with dirt or being dirty.
How to Treat Blackheads?
Treating blackheads isn’t that bad when you have the correct tools in your medicine cabinet. Blackhead fighting ingredients to look for in your daily skincare products should include:
- Salicylic acid - for anyone suffering with blackheads, your go to skincare product should always include salicylic acid. This acne-prone skincare hero is known for its ability to effectively unclog pores. Dermatologists suggest that if you have sensitive skin, look for a targeted treatment as it can be drying.
- Benzoyl peroxide - another blackhead busting staple, this antibacterial ingredient works to break down and loosen the gunk that's built up in your pores. Not only that, it can kill the very bacteria that leads to a bad breakout.
- Glycolic acid - an AHA, (alpha hydroxy acid) glycolic acid is another great pore cleanser. It immediately goes to work exfoliating the top layer of the skin and removing bacteria and oil deep down in your pores. Bonus: it also increases collagen production!
- Retinoids - retinoids are powerful, vitamin A compounds that increase cell turnover and regeneration, meaning they can fight blackheads (and wrinkles!).
- Azelaic acid - not as well-known as the other ingredients, but just as powerful, this acid works to effectively target blackheads as well as improve hyperpigmentation and UV damages.
How to Safely Remove Blackheads
If these blemish busting ingredients aren’t working for your skin, fear not! Cherie has a few other tricks up our sleeves! When all else fails, you can try:
- Over-the-counter spot treatments - widely available in drug stores without the need for a prescription, many OTC blackhead treatments contain all the goods like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and resorcinol. These are available in cleansing pads, creams and gels and work to kill the bacteria on your skin, while drying excess oil.
- Speaking with your dermatologist - your dermatologist may suggest taking a prescription medication to help with the flare ups. Oral medications, including birth control or spironolactone work with your hormones to decrease oil production and prevent new pimples from popping up.
- Manual removal - your dermatologist is stocked with tons of devices to remove pesky blackheads. An instrument called a round loop extractor can effectively remove the plug that is causing the bacteria filled blackhead.
- Skin treatments - microdermabrasion’s and chemical peels remove dead skin and any clogs within your pores. During a microdermabrasion, your dermatologist uses a special instrument to gently sand the thicker, outer layers of your skin. During a chemical peel, your dermatologist will use a strong solution that over time will “peel off” the top layer of your skin.
- Laser or light therapy - done by a skincare professional, each method uses intense beams of light to decrease oil production and kill bacteria. These methods work below the top layer of your skin so it’s not damaged.
It’s important to remember that clearing blackheads for good takes time and a little effort. While some people may be prone to them, these tips and tricks can help get them under control. And one more pro tip before we go—don’t forget to moisturize! Most of these blackhead fighting ingredients are drying, so it’s essential to incorporate a moisturizer that works best for your skin type. Do you have pesky blackheads? What do you do to keep them at bay?
Clear skin the gentle way?
Thank you @cheriefor this amazing gift 🤩 “buh-koo-chee-all” HERBIVORE - Bakuchiol Anti-Aging Serum I’ve already become a diehard Herbivore lover. So to receive this beauty was super exciting. When I started my acne journey on Cherie I was (and still am) a Differin Acne Gel stan. This was my choice of retinol and I wanted it strong to treat acne and boost my cellular turnover. Now that my acne is currently under control and it’s getting hot again, I definitely want something smooth and gentle. Bakuchiol is a gentler alternative to the very popular ingredient retinol. So essentially you’ll get overall youthful results for your skin. I haven’t tested this on my acne theory yet, but overall my face has been smooth and irritation free. This serum does not have a smell which I love for products of this caliber. I also love that it’s light and not drying at all. I use this at night and since i have a tolerance to retinol I use it every night. I haven’t been using it long enough to see results (about 12 weeks) but I definitely can’t wait to finish this. Have you tried Bakuchiol?
A Journey of Self 🌹
I figured Black History Month was as good as any opportunity to talk about my self finding. Growing up in a small yet old family, I always had questions about my roots and family history. I also struggled with self conscious doubts about my appearance. Why is my nose this big? Why is my hair this curly? Why am I taller than average? These weighed heavy on my mind growing up because honestly, sticking out sucked. So, I finally dove deep into my family’s origin and decided to do an Ancestry DNA analysis. I immersed myself with every corner of the site. I only got the chance to finish my maternal grandmas side of the family tree, but even that has plenty of gaps. Yet, when I received my DNA results I was stoked. Then I realized, I don’t know much about any of these places. So I dug even deeper. I have a little journal of things I’ve learned and want to know, but this was quite the experience. It was heartbreaking and satisfying at the same time. I highly recommend for every race and background to do this DNA Test. The best part of this was scrolling through photos of the people of the respected countries I was DNA matched to. I swear I saw a girl who looked like me, but everyone else thinks I’m tripping lol. In the end, I’m satisfied with my results and findings. Relatively speaking, this way of self discovery has been the most effective.
My Farewell To Cherie
Follow me on Ig for more skincare since Cherie is leaving 😭 @naturedskinv This has been an amazing journey and I’ve made soo many amazing friends. Thank you for all the love, conversations, and just overall happiness I’ve experienced on this app. I’m definitely sad, a little upset, and a dash of confused, but thank you @cheriefor giving me such an amazing confidence boost and guidance. The way the app shaped my thoughts on skincare has been insane. I’m still willing to forget this and call it a joke if y’all are! 😭 Anyways thank you again and hopefully we can stay in touch 🙏🏾
Drunk Elephant- The Littles 🐘
I won this cute little kit in a raffle & I couldn’t be more thankful! I have always wanted to try these products but never wanted to spend the money on all of them incase I didn’t like them! Inside this kit are the following products: DRUNK ELEPHANT - Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser Deluxe Sample DRUNK ELEPHANT - B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - Protini Polypeptide Cream DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Tango Multivitamin Eye Cream DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma Vitamin C Day Serum DRUNK ELEPHANT - Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil DRUNK ELEPHANT - Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 That’s literally a whole skincare routine! So far I started out my day with one of Drunk Elephants infamous “Face Smoothies” I washed my face with Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser & then combined C-Firma Day Serum, Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil, & Protini Polypeptide Cream together on my mixing trey with a disposable skincare spatula! I applied it all over my face & neck. Once that absorbed, I applied Umbra Tinte Daily Defense SPF 30 over my face & neck & was done! I love how the kit comes with steps to walk you through different routines you can use in the morning or at night! I will do a follow up review after I have used all the products for a few weeks! But so far, my skin feels & looks great! I have been breaking out lately & haven’t felt the best about my skin so I really needed this pick me up!! Thank you for reading! You guys are the best!! ❤️ @cherie@Cheriebeauty@CheriePick
Double Your Lash Length With Sky High Mascara!
I bought this mascara after seeing a post about it on Facebook. I love trying out new mascaras but rarely do I find one that I will use regularly like my beloved tarte - Maneater Mascara However this stuff is good. MAYBELLINE - Lash Sensational Sky High Waterproof Mascara It gave my lashes so much volume & length they literally doubled in size! My lashes are already pretty long to begin with but this made them look amazing. The photo is after applying only one coat so I can only imagine how good they will look after two or three coats! It also didn’t clump up my lashes at all. I applied it really quickly & lazily too because I was in a rush to get ready & I was still amazed! I honestly think this is going to be my new daily mascara. It is waterproof but not the annoying kind that leaves your eyes completely black when you go to take it off. It came off really easily with my POND'S - Facial Moisturizers Dry Skin Cream which is what I’ve always used to remove my eye makeup, since I was a kid! @cherie@Cheriebeauty@CheriePick
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24, 2020
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18, 2020
My Mental Wellness Improved Through My Self AcceptanceWhen I was around 13 or 14 years old, I remember routinely taking one of my older sister’s black eyeliner pencils before school every morning. I’d arrive early so that I could slip away to the girl’s bathroom to apply a single black line to my eyelids. My parents didn’t allow me to wear any makeup at the time. Although this smudgy line on my eyelids didn’t make me look all that much different, I never felt comfortable at school without it. My teenage mind convinced myself that I needed some sort of cosmetic symbol in order to appropriately express my femininity. Up until that point in my life, society had told girls that looked like me - tall, Black, and with kinky hair - that we somehow weren’t as beautiful as the other girls. For far too long, I believed it too.Feb. 17