💥How to Get Rid of Blackheads: 5 Ingredients to Effectively Fight Them
Blackheads suck—we know. One of the most common skincare issues, blackheads, or “open comedones”, affect over 50 million people in the US. If you’re one of the many searching for a way to banish the blemishes for good, we are now sharing how to do it and what ingredients to include in your routine.
While some enjoy popping pimples and others are repulsed by it, one thing is true—blackheads are stubborn, annoying, and they almost always come back like that annoying ex. If you’re just about ready to give up on these bothersome bumps, don’t! We went to work to find the safest and most effective methods to get rid of them for good, without squeezing or popping anything. But first, in order to pulverize your pustules, you need to understand what they are and what causes them.
What Are Blackheads and What Causes Them?
Blackheads appear as small bumps, usually on the nose, that are dark in color. Caused by clogged hair follicles, they turn black once the mixture of oil and dead skin cells is exposed to air. The technical term is open comedone, literally meaning an open acne lesion. The opening refers to the hair follicle that contains one hair and a sebaceous gland. Once the mixture of bacteria, oil and dead skin sits in that opening and oxidizes, it produces a tiny bump called a comedo. Gross, we know. Despite their color, blackheads have nothing to do with dirt or being dirty.
How to Treat Blackheads?
Treating blackheads isn’t that bad when you have the correct tools in your medicine cabinet. Blackhead fighting ingredients to look for in your daily skincare products should include:
- Salicylic acid - for anyone suffering with blackheads, your go to skincare product should always include salicylic acid. This acne-prone skincare hero is known for its ability to effectively unclog pores. Dermatologists suggest that if you have sensitive skin, look for a targeted treatment as it can be drying.
- Benzoyl peroxide - another blackhead busting staple, this antibacterial ingredient works to break down and loosen the gunk that's built up in your pores. Not only that, it can kill the very bacteria that leads to a bad breakout.
- Glycolic acid - an AHA, (alpha hydroxy acid) glycolic acid is another great pore cleanser. It immediately goes to work exfoliating the top layer of the skin and removing bacteria and oil deep down in your pores. Bonus: it also increases collagen production!
- Retinoids - retinoids are powerful, vitamin A compounds that increase cell turnover and regeneration, meaning they can fight blackheads (and wrinkles!).
- Azelaic acid - not as well-known as the other ingredients, but just as powerful, this acid works to effectively target blackheads as well as improve hyperpigmentation and UV damages.
How to Safely Remove Blackheads
If these blemish busting ingredients aren’t working for your skin, fear not! Cherie has a few other tricks up our sleeves! When all else fails, you can try:
- Over-the-counter spot treatments - widely available in drug stores without the need for a prescription, many OTC blackhead treatments contain all the goods like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and resorcinol. These are available in cleansing pads, creams and gels and work to kill the bacteria on your skin, while drying excess oil.
- Speaking with your dermatologist - your dermatologist may suggest taking a prescription medication to help with the flare ups. Oral medications, including birth control or spironolactone work with your hormones to decrease oil production and prevent new pimples from popping up.
- Manual removal - your dermatologist is stocked with tons of devices to remove pesky blackheads. An instrument called a round loop extractor can effectively remove the plug that is causing the bacteria filled blackhead.
- Skin treatments - microdermabrasion’s and chemical peels remove dead skin and any clogs within your pores. During a microdermabrasion, your dermatologist uses a special instrument to gently sand the thicker, outer layers of your skin. During a chemical peel, your dermatologist will use a strong solution that over time will “peel off” the top layer of your skin.
- Laser or light therapy - done by a skincare professional, each method uses intense beams of light to decrease oil production and kill bacteria. These methods work below the top layer of your skin so it’s not damaged.
It’s important to remember that clearing blackheads for good takes time and a little effort. While some people may be prone to them, these tips and tricks can help get them under control. And one more pro tip before we go—don’t forget to moisturize! Most of these blackhead fighting ingredients are drying, so it’s essential to incorporate a moisturizer that works best for your skin type. Do you have pesky blackheads? What do you do to keep them at bay?
The Organic Skin Co.
Have you tried this brand yet. This brand is The Organic Skin. THE ORGANIC SKIN Co. - Cheeky Lips • This product is a blush and lip product. Versatile, multi-purpose blush Designed to provide a perfect natural flush and the pout to match. • Cheeky Lips comes in eight bangin’, long-lasting, highly pigmented colors. • Whether you’re looking for a soft pink blush for your cheeks and lips. • Organic castor seed oil and supercritical extracts of rosemary, pomegranate and calendula will help to replenish your cheeks and lips, keeping them smooth and healthy. 💭 I wasn't sure how to use this product when I first received it. The color is very pretty. The texture is soft and smooth. I used this on my lips. The color is very pigmented and long lasting. I tried this on my cheeks and wasn't a fan. It was too greasy for my liking. #The Organic Skin - Natural Lipstick[products]#[TwoStars] • This lipstick comes in 12 colors. With the added benefits of calendula and rosemary supercritical extracts, as well as nourishing organic oils and carnauba wax. Shades: Coral & Ruby Red 💭 I really wanted to like these lipsticks. The packaging is so pretty. The issue is the texture. These lipsticks are a little rough. I wasn't able to wear it by itself. You Definitely have to apply a gloss before using or it will break. Unfortunately it became to stressful to use. lol They wouldn't apply the right way. #The Organic Skin - TASK FORCE NINECALENDULA AND TURMERIC CREAM [products]#[FiveStars] • Infused with 9 active natural ingredients – aloe vera, jojoba seed oil, lemon peel oil, calendula, turmeric, rosemary, honeysuckle, vanilla, and seabuckthorn – this multi-tasking treatment cream has moisturizing, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. 💭 This is a nice everyday cream. The texture is nice and light. It leaves your skin smooth and moisturized. It's non-greasy and smells amazing. This cream is good for all skin types including sensitive skin. #The Organic Skin - The Eyes Have it[products]#[FourStars] • With 8 colors to choose from you can mix, match and blend our cream eye shadows. Highly pigmented, long-lasting, multi-hued, and full of supercritical extracts. How to use: Using your finger or an eye shadow brush, apply to your eyelids. Shades: Greenstone & Silhouette 💭 These are really nice eyeshadows especially if you like cream shadows. It's easy to apply and the texture is smooth. Once these shadows dry down, they stay in place. My issue was on of the shadows was hard. It kept rolling up as I was trying to get it out of the package. The shades are very pretty especially greenstone. It's very pigmented. I'm not sure if I would purchase any of these products. Your thoughts? (Gifted) #whoisnee #cheriecreator
🌟Creator Spotlight 🏷Beauty Year-in-review
Check out@jassintadoepost on her exploration on balancing family, creative work, and self-care in 2020. Share your own journey in 🏷 Beauty Year-in-review “From starting 2020 with a seven day old newborn baby and all the crazy hormones and changes to my body, skin and hair which goes with a new baby (yes, this is why I look exhausted and have something spilt on my top in the February photo 🙈😂) to a global pandemic which resulted in my husband working from home and suddenly needing to learn how to homeschool my older daughter this year has been crazy and challenging to adjust and find the right balance.”
Is this sunscreen worth the hype?
There is 𝗻𝗼 𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗺𝗲𝗻 without 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻. And, the 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻 is the one that you will wear religiously. Is 𝗜𝗦𝗗𝗜𝗡 𝗘𝗿𝘆𝗳𝗼𝘁𝗼𝗻𝗮 𝗔𝗴𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗨𝗹𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 tinted mineral sunscreen worth the hype? #Isdin - ISDIN Eryfotona Ageless Ultralight tinted mineral sunscreen[products]#[FourStars] Pros ☀️ 𝗠𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗹 sunscreen aka physical blocker, thus broad spectrum ☀️ Contains 𝗶𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝘅𝗶𝗱𝗲𝘀, though unclear of percent. May provide protection against blue light. ☀️ One of the few tinted moisturizers that blends in well in skin of color. The tint is so homogenous and nice that you can away with not applying foundation after. ☀️ Contains 𝗽𝗵𝗼𝘁𝗼𝗹𝘆𝗮𝘀𝗲, an enzyme, that help repair damage caused by the sun. Not too thick or too thin, apply easily on the skin. ☀️ contains 𝗩𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗻 𝗘, an antioxidant as well as moisturizing Cons 🥴 𝗢𝗶𝗹𝘆, would not recommend for oily skin 😱 $$$ 𝗘𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲, it is definitely a splurge when there are comparable more frugal options out there.
Introducing Cherie’s Spotlight! 🌟
Hi cherie fam! We've updated our Leaderboard into a new, more inclusive program now called Cherie Spotlight! Starting November 30th, every two-weeks, cherie will spotlight and award free beauty prizes to new and contributing users & creators in our community at random in an effort to show more diverse content and celebrate everyone in our cherie community. The first winners of Cherie's Spotlight will be announced on December 14th and every two-weeks, we will choose several winners for each category - New on Cherie, Cherie Convos, and Cherie's Picks! New on Cherie ￼Cherie will randomly choose several users who are new to the cherie community and have posted in the current round to win a free beauty prize! Cherie Convos ￼Cherie will randomly choose several users who have created into those week's Cherie Convos topics. ￼Each week's Cherie Convos topics can be found at the top of the Discover page in the banners and on @cherie! Cherie’s Picks ￼Cherie will award our top picks of the most engaging recent posts on cherie. There's no sign-up needed, just post to participate! Happy posting and good luck!! 🌟💫
✨Cute Bun Hairstyle✨
Hi Guys!!! I recently saw this scrolling on Pinterest and I wanted to recreate it! It’s SO easy and took about 5 minutes total!! It looks so fancy yet it’s so simple! I have medium to thin hair but this can work on pretty much all hair types! (: (tip: spray texture spray beforehand) this helps it stay in better!)☺️ HOW TO: -I like to pull my bangs out first (: - you’re going to section it as if you’re doing a half up half down hairstyle -then you’re going to start twisting that part of your hair -I twist it around like I’m doing a ballerina bun😅 -then I secure it with a hair tie ❤️ -you can leave like that! Or I like to pull it out a little so it’s more loose!✨😊
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18
The Eczema Edit—Your Eczema Starter Kit We just concluded Eczema Awareness Month! Here are my tried & true favorites for treating my eczema.Nov. 2