7 Tips For Repairing Your Damaged Skin Barrier
Our skin is our body’s largest organ, but it is also one of the most vulnerable. Our skin’s barrier serves as a protective layer to keep it healthy and moisturized, but when that is damaged, it can result in an uncomfortable and uneven skin texture. Here’s how to determine whether or not your skin barrier has been damaged and how you can fix it.
What is the skin barrier?
Your top layer of skin cells serves as a barrier to protect the rest of your skin from the elements. This layer of skin cells is covered with fatty acids and other lipids that form a thin layer of moisture. This moisture layer combined with your skin’s resilient top cells protects you from things like allergens, chemicals, and other environmental irritants. If this barrier is damaged, it becomes very difficult for the skin to protect itself from outside factors, which can lead to further health problems.
How do I know if my skin barrier has been damaged?
One of the first signs of a damaged skin barrier is that your skin is feeling dry and dehydrated. Because of this, this skin will then start to flake or feel itchy, and you may notice patches of redness. Your skin will also be much more vulnerable to bacteria, and may try to over-produce moisture to compensate, which can lead to acne flareups.
While a damaged skin barrier can be very frustrating, there are things you can do to fix the problem. In many cases, a damaged skin barrier is caused by harsh skincare or makeup products, so switching up your routine can make a world of difference.
What can I do to repair my damaged skin barrier?
There are a number of different things you can do to repair your skin’s barrier once it has been damaged.
- 1. Start by reassessing your skincare routine. Go through your products and get rid of any that contain alcohol, sulfates, parabens, or any other harsh chemicals. You should also temporarily stop exfoliating the skin, as this will further break down the skin barrier when it’s already damaged. If you’re unsure about any chemicals that are currently in your skincare routine, do some research to find out more about how they can affect your skin.
- 2. Next, it’s time to develop a new skincare routine that uses gentle ingredients. You will need to find a cleanser, moisturizer, and serum that do not have any skin irritants. When you use your cleanser, be sure not to scrub too hard, as this can further irritate your skin. Your moisturizer should contain ingredients that will rehydrate your skin, and both the moisturizer and serum should contain ingredients that promote faster healing. Hyaluronic acid and ceramide are both good ingredients to look for, as they promote a faster healing process.
- 3. Use nourishing oils to further add moisture to your skin. Natural products like olive oil and coconut oil can be very helpful for rebuilding the skin’s barrier, since they contain fatty acids and other components that are necessary for a functional skin barrier. Applying oil-based skincare products can actually stop your body from over-producing oil and prevent your pores from clogging.
- 4. Make sure you’re using a gentle sunscreen on your skin every time you go outside. Sun exposure can further irritate a damaged skin barrier, which is why it’s so important to protect it. Aim for a physical sunscreen instead of a chemical one, as they are usually more gentle and less likely to clog pores.
- 5. Keep an eye on your diet. You’ll want to make sure that you’re drinking several glasses of water each day, as this is crucial for keeping your skin smooth and healthy. If you struggle to remember to drink water, try carrying a water bottle with you throughout the day. You should also make sure you’re eating plenty of foods with omega-3 fatty acids, like fish, walnuts, and spinach.
- 6. After your skin has started to heal, look for products that help with collagen production. When your skin’s natural barrier is damaged, your skin will start to lose its fullness, which can exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Our body also naturally slows down its collagen production as we get older. Collagen-boosting products can help restore your skin to a healthy state.
- 7. If you’re still struggling to repair your skin barrier after switching up your skincare routine, don’t hesitate to see a dermatologist. They can perform a more in-depth examination to determine the cause of your damaged skin barrier. They can also prescribe stronger products to help repair the damage.
A damaged skin barrier can feel uncomfortable, but it’s not permanent. By adjusting your skincare routine and staying hydrated, you can restore your skin barrier to a much healthier state.
Mermaid Polish🧜♀️ Same Brand Dupe?
Sally Hansen - Color Therapy Nail Polish Sally Hansen - Insta-Dri X Jelly Belly Nail Polish Similarities: - Both are from Sally Hansen which is famous for their polishes and nail products - Both have two-color tones - Both have blue base Differences - Sally Hansen Salon Manicure has 14.7ml (0.5 oz) comparing to Sally Hansen insta-dry Matte 9.17 ml (0.3 oz) - Salon Manicure is $15 CAD vs Insta-dry Matte $8 CAD (almost double the other) - The Salon Manicure does appear to be more hollow, when actually apply it, you can tell that this one is super jampacked with holo pigment - After two layers, the salon manicure series is perfect set and ready to finish ( actually one layer is good enough, if you do want extra hallow pigment, you can go with a second layer) but the insta-dry matte series, it is not as clear as the other, and you actually need a third layer to get the perfect finish. - The formula is thicker in Salon Manicure, but the consistency is very good and fluid. And it doesnt dragging the brush. It floats super nicely across the nail. - My opinion - I personally really love the Salon Manicure. Although both polish are from Sally Hansen, this one definitely wins over the other in every area. I love the fact that you can see the formula is a two-toned color, you can actually see the color shifting when turning it into different angles. And it appears the same on your nails. It has a perfect combination of blue and purple with purple pearl shimmer to keep the nail going strong.
AMONG US MAKEUP PRODUCT LIST
I’ve been asked multiple times by my awesome TikTok community to do a makeup look inspired by the popular video game, Among Us. I wanted to create an avant-garde version of their intro screen and promo posters, where the lil astronauts were all in space. Then I added all the colors mixed into a rectangular block on my face to match how the characters look. Being inspired by something popular doesn’t mean you have to give up on your aesthetic ❤️ If you want to see how I applied everything, check out my tiktok tutorial @cindychendesigns! GET THE LOOK: @makeuprevolution REVOLUTION - Book of Spells Love Spells Eyeshadow Palette* REVOLUTION - Book of Spells Curses and Hexes Eyeshadow Palette @bhcosmetics bh - Take Me Back to Brazil 35 Color Pressed Pigment Palette @neshailashes New Colored 25mm 3D lashes (Yellow)* @ccbeauty_us 12 Flash Color Cases (White) @officialsnazaroo Face Paint (Blue, Black, White) *gifted Edited with @lightroom and @photoshop
Hair waver Barrel Size comparison
I've been seeing a lot of the hair waver trend, and wanted to try it all out. Upon researching different brands, I got really overwhelmed with the different barrel sizes. I decided to buy 3 barrel sizes to compare and see if there's actually a significant difference. DISCLAIMER: I've purchased all these hot tools from Amazon, and I am not affiliated or sponsored by any brand or company. 1. 22mm barrel - In the pictures, I'm wearing a red shirt. First picture is my hair freshly waved. Second pic, I brushed the waves out. Third, is a frontal view of the waves. These waves are definitely tighter than what I would like. It reminds me of how my hair would look if I had braided them while damp and slept on them overnight. It was cute, but I don't think it looked best on my mid-length hair. 2. 25mm - In these series of pictures, I'm wearing a graphic Looney Toons shirt. This barrel size seems the most popular. Insert Name Here, a hair extension company, sells a 25mm tool. They market it as the perfect barrel size, and I agree. I definitely like this barrel size better than the 22mm - it seems more natural. Although I did not purchase my waver from INH, I imagine it would give similar results. INSERT NAME Here - The Waver 3. 32mm - In these series of pics, I'm wearing a black shirt. This barrel size is my favorite. I think it compliments my hair length the best, and I think it would be cute on any hair length for that matter. It is the most natural waves, but also it just looks more uniform than the smaller barrels. With smaller barrels, there's more variance in how you position your waves, but with bigger barrels, there's less room to vary and it all looks pretty much the same - which I like. Love this size!!! VERDICT: I guess it depends on what look you're trying to achieve. Some people like tighter and messier waves, and some people like bigger and neater waves. For me, I like the look of the bigger barrels. I returned the 22mm waver, and kept the other two wavers. Which one do you guys prefer?
2020s Biggest Trend: Dermatologist Approved
The biggest trend in 2020 is PERSONLIZRD SERUMS. I tried #Atolla and here are my genuine thoughts (SURPRISE AT THE END OF CAPTION!) Do you ever feel like there are too many skincare products out there and have no idea what you need? Trust me, it’s happened to me too! I have been using #ATOLLA which is a company that formulates serums with a mixture of ingredients to target with your skin needs. Here are some of the benefits: 1) The serum is personalized for your skin. 2) you are able to monitor your skin changes each month with a skin test 3) Your formulation is altered monthly to target your problem areas. 4) It formulates several key ingredients into one serum, rather than buying separate creams. 5) it takes into account the products you are currently using. My initial skin concerns when completing my skin quiz with Atolla was battling dry skin as well as skin hyperpigmentation. They sent me a product with vitamin C complex as well as Alpha Arbutin. Vitamin C acts as my antioxidant against sun damage, evens out my hyperpigmentation, increases collagen, and increases hydration. Combining this with alpha arbutin, which targets the enzyme that produces pigment, only further reduced my hyperpigmentation. Like everything, results did not come overnight, but with consistent use, I was able to really even out my skin pigment and hydrate my skin. 🎉🎉🎉CHERIE SURPRISE 🎉🎉🎉 I've asked Atolla to give my CHERIE APP followers an exclusive code “DRCHRIS” for 25% off! Excited to see what you guys think!! 🙌🙌 Atolla - Custom Serum INGREDIENT BREAKDOWN:⤵️ ￼￼The vitamin C helps with collagen growth, hyperpigmentation, as well as sun damage. ￼￼The Alpha arbutin targets primarily hyperpigmentation creating an even skin tone. ￼￼Depending on your product, you can use it in the morning or night.
Fight pollution with antioxidants
In this short video, I showcase some of my favourite antioxidant products. Skincare that fights pollution is bascially skincare that picks up and neutralizes free-radical damage- and those ingredients are antioxidants. Free radicals are atoms that have an imbalance of electrons- ideally molecules should have a pair of electrons- but free radicals just have 1. This has them "running around" scavenging electrons from other molecules- in turn creating more free radicals. Antioxidants are free molecules that have many electrons free for donations- they dont need to have paired electrons. So they can in turn donate electrons to free radicals and restore balance. Antioxidants are a great way to help prevent signs of aging, sun damage and external pollutants, also known as exposomes. I believe its much easier to prevent than to try to correct the damages later on, which is why antioxidants are my favorite type of ingredient in skincare. I also love that they are usually derived from fruits and other healthy foods, so a) they make great snacks and b) in skincare, they’re usually naturally derived. All the products shown in the video are products that I’m loving- textures are lovely, non tacky and have a smooth finish on the skin. They allow for a very smooth application for makeup overtop as well and I have been seeing lots of smoothing and brightening results with all of them 🙌🏼 #cheriepartner LANCÔME - Énergie de Vie Intense Essence fresh - Vitamin Nectar Glow Juice Antioxidant Face Serum three ships - Dew Drops Mushroom Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin C Serum HERBIVORE - Moon Fruit Superfruit Night Treatment
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18
My Favorite Ingredient-Focused Skincare BrandsToday, so many beauty brands truly care about ingredients over marketing — here are the ones I love most!Oct. 14