What is My Skin Type: Dry? Acne-Prone? Oily? Find Out Now
Almost all humans have thought of skin perfection, even though we don't express it visibly. We look at our skin, frequently, and crave to see it glow. One common question that arises with this challenge is: how can I make my skin look and feel healthy?
To figure that out, however, we need to first know what our skin type is. Granted, everyone has a unique skin. No matter how flawed or flawless your skin is, there are distinctive properties that set you aside much like your fingerprints.
Nevertheless, this individuality can be capped into 6 categories. To answer that burning question at the center of your mind, we've searched everywhere for simple questions that'll reveal what skin type you have.
Not only does knowing your precise skin type enable you to select the right beauty products, but it'll also help you determine several techniques used to make the body look good. Here's how to know and own your skin type.
How to Know Your Skin Type
1. Describe how your pores look
2. Which of these describes your bedtime routine?
3. How does your skin feel first thing in the morning?
4. How does your skin feel a few hours after waking up?
5. What is your major skincare concern?
6. How does your skin react to sunlight exposure? Skin…
7. How does your face feel when washing it?
8. How does your skin feel applying makeup?
Mostly A's, you have dry skin.
Have you noticed that your skin type is the dry one? If yes, worry less. Increasing the moisture and upping its oil makes you less vulnerable to acne. Many dermatologists emphasize the characteristics of dry skin.
This skin type usually sticks together, and one can easily be disgusted by merely looking at it. Following the breakout of oil from the root, it is likely to develop fewer blemishes. A common downside is how dry and cracked the skin looks.
That's why it's a must to moisturize the skin of this kind daily. It would help best if you practice this as a routine.
- If possible, add moisture to the air with a humidifier.
- Take only cold or lukewarm baths.
- After baths and showers, moisture straightaway (do so according to the current season).
- Pick a cream or ointment over a lotion.
- Use only gentle skin care products (avoid using deodorant soaps and products that contain alcohol, fragrance, etc.)
- Increase your daily intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Don't use non-hypoallergenic laundry detergent.
- Wear non-irritating clothes.
- Use lip balm or lip salve.
- Cleanse your face no more than once a day.
Mostly B's, you have oily skin.
There's a unique way to confirm that this is your skin type. Clean your face with water and observe it after a while. If it gets oily, this is your derma. This is because sebaceous glands release excessive oil.
There's an increased release of sebum in located regions—including chest and back—whenever you're stressed out. Hence, circumstances like this demand the use of lotion-free products to retain a shiny and decent appearance of the body.
- Cleanse your face at least twice a day.
- Maintain consistent use of acne treatments.
- Exfoliate but don't scrub at your skin.
- Ensure your skin care products are water-based and oil-free.
- Apply an astringent or alcohol-free toner every day. First, cleanse your skin, then apply either product before using your moisturizer.
Mostly C's, you have sensitive skin.
People with skin allergies and issues such as eczema, rosacea, or contact dermatitis have sensitive skin. This set of individuals usually sense a burning feeling whenever they apply ointment on their body. Preferably, use products with hypoallergenic labels and try to build a soothing skin.
- Cleanse your face no more than twice a day.
- Use only products with a few ingredients (no more than 10). Plus, pay more attention to the ingredients list.
- Use as little products at a time as possible.
- Only use gentle skin care products (avoid using deodorant soaps and products that contain alcohol, fragrance, preservatives, etc.)
- Always patch-test whatever is going on your skin, and introduce new products strategically.
- Avoid over-washing or over-exfoliating your face.
- Try to find out what triggers are.
- Only take short baths and showers.
Mostly D's, you have acne-prone skin.
Those with acne-prone skin are unlike individuals with dry skin. If you fall into this category, ensure you avoid oily creams and applicants. Speaking of acne-prone characteristics, it produces big bumps every so often.
Another way of identifying this skin type is by noticing how your skin appears after applying moisturizers. If it develops scalps of dandruff, then you know this is the kind of derma you have. You can defeat this problem by opting for oil-free purifiers.
- Avoid over-washing or over-exfoliating your face.
- Change your face towel often.
- Resist touching your face or acne.
- Avoid using toothpaste or rubbing alcohol on your acne as they lead to irritation.
- Cleanse your face twice a day and whenever you notice a sweaty face.
- Use only non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic, and oil-free skin care products.
- Apply acne treatments all over your skin, not just your acne.
Mostly E's, you have combination skin.
Combination skin is the most common. Very intriguing! Owners of this skin notice that different skin regions have varying degrees of oiliness. This corresponds with the varying availability of oil glands throughout the body.
Maintaining this skin type takes a sensible approach, and it's quite simple. Using water to clean your face daily and moisturizing with oil-free products would help best.
- Apply a lotion-based cleanser, cleansing gel, or employ a facial cleansing brush.
- Treat each skin region differently, depending on the oiliness or dryness.
- Keep your hydrated with a light gel-based moisturizer.
- Use a toner to shrink and close pores.
Mostly F's, you have normal skin.
The last of them all. People with this skin type should consider themselves lucky. Your parents did well by passing across decent genes to you, and your skin is compatible with almost all care products. But hey! That doesn't give you the go-ahead to select cleansers randomly.
- A nourishing skin care routine is still crucial, no matter how flawless skin is now.
- Use an antioxidant-rich serum or any product that avert signs of aging.
- Consider increasing your vitamin C intake or adding retinoids to your daily routine.
Tips for All Skin Types
- Give your skin a thorough, yet gentle, wash every day.
- Deeply exfoliate your skin once a week.
- Keep your skin moisturized throughout the day.
- Avoid direct sunlight and apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher every day—about 30 minutes before going out.
- Smoking is bad for your skin.
- Stay hydrated by drinking fluids and eating water-rich foods.
- Before sleep time, make a habit of a) wrapping up or washing hair; and b) removing makeup.
- Change your pillowcase every week.
Want a decent skin but don't know how to go about it? Learning more about your skin type and how it reacts with beauty products is critical to achieve peak stunningness. The skin types test above must've helped you with that. Now, do yourself right by caring for your skin and choosing your skin care products wisely.
Glass skin? Uhm YES!
This mist is so fun to use. You can use it with makeup or on its own! I tend to use it on bare skin for a natural glowing look. It is a fine mist that moisturizes, nourishes and helps fight damage. It also helps fight irritation and calm the skin. I will be posting a video a little later of me using this before makeup application! Makeup glides on after using this to prep the skin. What’s in it: ￼peach extract ￼Hyaluronic acid ￼Reishi mushroom ￼lotus extract ￼cica ￼ceramides ￼much more! This product has so many awesome ingredients, it’s hard not to love! PEACH & LILY - Glass Skin Veil Mist I will give this a 5/5! Pros: ￼can be used to refresh makeup ￼can be used on bare skin ￼hydrating ￼calming ￼gives a wonderful dewy glow ￼smells nice Cons: ￼$30 for a mist is a bit pricey but this mist does so much in return 💞 let me know a mist you love!
Update regarding November 23rd posting bug
Hi cherie fam! We experienced a bug yesterday which caused a number of published posts to disappear without any notification or warning. We have investigated the issue and have since retrieved all affected posts. We apologize for any confusion and will ensure it does not happen again! And please feel free to contact us using the feedback button at any time if you experience any other issues ✨
Share your story in 🏷 Beauty Thanks
❤️We are so moved and inspired by our creators’ stories and so grateful that cherie could accompany them on their beauty journeys during this tough time. Check out these creators’ posts and share your own story in 🏷 Beauty Thanks with the community! Creator: @MelaninSkinCareAddict “I’m very thankful for the beauty on the inside. This has been a tough year for me as an ICU nurse fighting covid. I can't even begin to tell you about the awful things I have seen but I will tell you that my coworkers have so much beauty on the inside…” Creator: @RedheadSkincare “This year I’m very thankful for my father’s health (everyone in my family honestly). I’ve been so worried about him due to the fact that he has Parkinson’s. I am thankful that he’s been feeling okay. I’m also thankful that I get to be apart of the Cherie community…”
THE BEST FOUNDATION I HAVE EVER TRIED
The Profusion Feel Good Skin Perfector is the best foundation I have used HANDS DOWN, and it is only $7.🙃 - shade: medium 3 neutral - skin type: combination (this foundation has kept my face 95% matte for over 9 hours) - satin finish w/ a light-medium coverage (it is buildable) - applies best with a sponge (I use the profusion marble sponge) It made my skin look healthy and even, and it’s my new everyday favorite foundation. I am very picky with foundations, but this didn’t give me bad smile lines so it’s a 10/10 for me already. ☁️ If you haven’t yet..please try this foundation out and let me know what you think! Hope this helps your skin look BOMBBB sis💕 #Profusion - Feel Good Skin Long Wear Skin Perfector[products]#[FiveStars]
THIS DERMATOLOGISTS FAVORITE NEW CLEANSER
Cleansers are an essential step in everyone’s skincare routine, but it can be difficult to find the right one for your skin. The new Aveeno Calm + Restore nourishing oat cleanser has been my new go-to daily cleanser and I love it. ❤️🙌 Aveeno has always been a brand to create formulations that target dry and sensitive skin and this cleanser is no different. This cleanser is great for people all skin types but would likely benefit dry or combination skin most. The incorporated oat complex helps restore build the skin’s moisture barrier and soothe itchy skin. There is no stripping effect with this cleanser, which is something too always look for with your cleanser. Other pros about this product are its fragrance free (limiting any irritant reactions) as well as great pricing. On amazon, you can find a bottle for under $10.‼️‼️ TRUTH: If you are trying to fight acne or blackheads I recommend against this cleanser and try finding something with salicylic acid. Have you tried the new Aveeno cleanser? Let me know your thoughts in the comments! ⤵️
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18
4 Small Beauty Businesses You Need to KnowSmall but mighty brands that are packing a punch in the beauty world that you should support ASAP.Nov. 21
Top Tips for Taking Amazing Photos Indoors✨ Cherie Creator 101We're so excited to welcome you back to today's newest edition of cherie creator 101! Our community is always sharing such amazing photos and beauty insights and we love seeing all of your posts. In this edition of creator 101, we will be letting you in on some tips and tricks for taking high-quality, well-lit photos at home. Get ready to master your photo taking skills and snap some amazing product shots and selfies!Oct. 22