How to Get An Even Skin Tone? Here are 5 Efficient Steps
Apr. 30, 2020
While there is no such thing as a perfect skin tone, women still try to get that ‘perfect’ look. And you’re struggling with an uneven skin tone, it can put a real challenge on things. Uneven skin tones not only make your natural face look blotchy and oddly hued but applying makeup can become an issue, too, as different areas require different shades.
What’s a girl to do? Well, we’ve come up with a 5-step solution that works to conquer uneven skin tones, leaving you with a bright, dewy complexion that’s close to perfection.
What is an Uneven Skin Tone?
An uneven skin tone can also be referred to as hyperpigmentation. This is due to the fact that hyper means above, while pigment refers to the color. Put these two words together and you have what is known as overproduction of melanin, which causes an uneven complexion otherwise known as hyperpigmentation.
What Causes Uneven Skin Tone?
A lot of things can cause an uneven skin tone. The most common reason behind an uneven skin tone is sun exposure, though, especially those who enjoy tanning without any type of protection from the sun. However, there are other common reasons for an uneven skin tone, such as aging, dry skin, or normal hormonal fluctuations.
5 Effective Steps to Getting Rid of an Uneven Skin Tone
Now that we know the cause behind uneven skin tones, it’s time to come up with a solution. BY following these 8 effective steps to getting rid of an uneven skin tone, you can achieve skin that is bright, dewy, and evenly complected. Let’s take a closer look at how to get rid of uneven skin tones:
1. Figure Out Your Skin Type and Start a Beauty Routine
Your skincare routine is imperative when it comes to getting rid of an uneven skin tone. This is because you need to start at the root of your skin problems before trying to solve the complexion issue. Think about it- even if you tried to get an even skin tone with dry skin, you would still end up with flakes and cracks that would lead to further complexion issues. That being said, create a beauty regime that fixes all your skin issues.
- Dry: A woman struggling with dry skin needs to make sure she’s purchasing products specifically designed to provide nourishment and hydration, such as the Clinique Smart Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Customer-Repair Moisturizer. Those with dry skin should opt for products that contain urea, lactic acid, and/or glycerin. This will enhance your skin’s overall ability to hold onto the moisture and hydration.
- Combination: Combination skin can have a mixture of oily, dry, and normal skin on their face, which makes beauty routines a challenge. It’s important to find products that are designed for combination skin types during your routine, such as the SOBEL SKIN RX 27% Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser.
- Normal: You might think that someone with a normal skin type has it easy, and you’d be somewhat correct- but that doesn’t mean they should skimp on their beauty routine. To keep your normal skin staying ‘normal’, add some products for your skin type such as the Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer.
- Oily: Oily skin can present quite a challenge as a lot of products will only add to the oiliness, which leads to clogged pores and potentially acne. It’s imperative for oily-skinned women to find something to handle their excessive sebum production, such as Kiehl’s From 1851 Calendula Deep Clean Foaming Face Wash. With oily skin, be careful to find products that are known as ‘non-comedogenic’. These formulas will cause less clogging, which is important for this type of skin tone.
2. Exfoliate Often
Exfoliation is an important part of the process when it comes to getting rid of an uneven skin tone. Exfoliating your skin removes the first layer of dead skin cells and any duller skin cells that are located on the surface. This leaves your skin routine products- moisturizers, cleaners, and serums- a clean slate to thoroughly penetrate and help with uneven skin tones.
Make sure you always buy an exfoliator that is designed for your specific skin tone and use it once or twice a week. You don’t want to exfoliate too often or too aggressively as this can cause a disturbance to your skin and actually make an uneven skin tone worse. Instead, use your fingers to gently rub the exfoliator to your skin in circular motions before rinsing.
3. Consider a Facial
You have options when it comes to facials- you can either do an at-home treatment using a commercial product or natural ingredients or opt for a chemical facial. The good news is that all types of facials will have incredible results on uneven skin tones, but chemical facials offer more immediate results.
A chemical peel will use a variety of ingredients, including acids and enzymes, to burn off the top layer of your skin. (Some may go deeper than the top layer, although these aren’t recommended except for in extreme cases). Afterward, you will notice redness, flakiness, and some overall irritation, but the skin that grows back will be close to flawless and evenly textured.
You also have the option of using at-home facials, such as the SK-II Pitera Facial Treatment Mask, or you can go the natural route. You can use a pinch of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar on dark spots, leaving for about 10 minutes before rinsing off. Garlic and Aloe Vera are two other wonderful, all-natural options for obtaining an even skin tone.
4. Add Brightening Products to Your Routine
Once you have found yourself on a good beauty routine and your initial skin issues have been more or less taken care of, you can start applying some brightening products to your skincare routine. You should seek out these specific ingredients to achieve bright, dewy skin that is evenly complected and gorgeous:
- Hydroquinone: This is a highly common and sought after depigmenting agent and can be found in most products that are geared towards providing an even skin tone, such as the MURAD Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum.
- Mulberry: This ingredient has proven itself to be a lightening agent with dramatic results. It can be found in products such as the TATA HARPER Concentrated Brightening Essence which has incredible reviews.
- Kojic acid: Kojic works not only to brighten and provide beautifully youthful skin tones, but it also works to stop the production of melanin, which means you can finally say goodbye to dark spots forming. DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE Clinical Grade IPL Dark Spot Correcting Serum is an excellent choice for a product containing kojic acid that really works.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is the powerhouse vitamin you will want on your side. Not only does it work to produce an even skin tone, but it also stops pigmentation and enhances your skin’s overall health. DRUNK ELEPHANT C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum is a top pick that should be included in your beauty regime.
5. Finish With a Mist
If you are looking for that fresh, dewy face in an instant, there is no better way to do it than by applying a mist product. These will instantly provide that flowing, dewy look that makes any woman appear virtually flawless. Tactcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist is a great choice for all skin types and comes with a slew of skin-healthy ingredients you’ll be proud to have on your face.
Sure, uneven skin tones might be a pin- but that doesn’t mean you can’t get rid of them. In fact, by simply taking care of your skin based on your skin type, exfoliating, and performing facial masks somewhat often, you can say goodbye to uneven skin tones for good.
OBSESSED with these nails 💫
Press on nails just got a huge upgrade. If you fawn over Instagram nail accounts but for a variety of reasons don’t know how you could achieve the designs of your wildest dreams, you need to check our Chill House! I went with their three pack because I couldn’t decide on just one design. A single set of nails cost $16 and there’s more than enough to share with a friend too. Plus, these babies are reusable. The designs are trendy and cute and you can rest assured in the glue being non-toxic and vegan. Which design should I try next? #Chill House - Chill Tips - Checked Out[products]#[FiveStars]
THIS IS A FRESH 👏🏾START 👏🏾
THIS is why I love BoxyCharm 🙌🏾 These products wouldn’t have been on my radar, but they were delivered right to my door + I absolutely LOVE all of them! And this olive eye!! I’m feelin it! Full tutorial and review are on YouTube now! Link in bio ❤️ Product List: #Violet Voss - Olive You Forever[products]#[FiveStars] This is my first time trying this brand and I'm really impressed! The shadows are creamy, pigmented, and super blendable! FARMACY - Daily Greens Oil-Free Gel Moisturizer with Moringa and Papaya I love the cleansing balm so I was excited to try this! It has definitely helped my skin stay hydrated and even makes it look more glowy and matte! I love the texture and it absorbs quickly! #Avant Skincare - Bi-Phase Hyaluronic Acid Rejuvenating Micellar Water[products]#[FourStars] This reneges ALL my makeup, even mascara, with no issues! My skin feels smooth and hydrated after using it. However, it has a LOT of fragrance. I don't mind the smell, but it does linger. #Seraphine Botanicals - Apple + Baume Glow Lip Mask[products]#[FiveStars] A great lip mask! Hydrated lips nicely! I like applying this as I start my makeup routine and it's usually absorbed by the time I get to my lips. #Trust Fund Beauty - Lipgasm Lip Gloss[products]#[FourStars] this is a pretty gloss but it is a bit sticky. What do you think about this box?
💄Share your favs in 🏷 Lip Gloss Mania
There's no doubt that a lip gloss could give a wash of light color while still being versatile enough to go with the rest of our makeup look. Notice how the gloss also defines our lips and gives them volume? More and more beauty brands are improving their formulas, maximizing their shine, and creating tubes of gloss that are more irresistible, and we are 100 percent here for them! What are your favorite lip glosses? Share them with us in 🏷 Lip Gloss Mania
The best sunscreen for dry skin☀️
Y’all… Let me tell you how dry my skin gets. My skin gets so dry that it looks like my skin is actually flaking. I have struggled with dry skin my entire life and I hardly find any products that truly help my skin. I reached out to a friend who gave me a skin care routine and she suggested this sunscreen PURITO - Centella Green Level Unscented Sun SPF50+ it is honestly the best! Not only is it scent free but it hydrates my skin without burning it. I have high sensitivity to a lot of products and this is one that doesn’t make my skin irritated or break out. If you struggle with dry skin, try out this sunscreen! Not only does it help with the dryness but also you should always be protecting your face with sunscreen!!!
DON’T try these at home!
With so many self- proclaimed beauty gurus in the world today, it’s very easy to get sucked into the DIY trend. Most experts and skincare specialists will tell you these homemade concoctions are not as good as they are made to be. Here are 5 ingredients you should not put on your face and why. 1. Essential Oils- The fragrant portion of plants is what makes essential oils. Modern science has revealed how fragrant oils cause problems for the skin. In the long run components in essential oils can significantly irritate and damage the skin. 2. Lemon Juice 🍋- Lemons are extremely acidic, which will irritate your skin. You can experience excessive redness, dryness, and skin peeling. Using lemons on your skin can cause more damage then benefit to your skin. 3. Coconut Oil- This ingredient causes a lot of debate amongst my followers, but fact is a fact, coconut oil is highly comedogenic. This means that the oil clogs pores on your face. When you apply coconut oil to your face it lays on the surface and is not able to be absorbed into the skin due to its large molecules. It can cause breakouts, blackheads, and whiteheads. 4. Witch Hazel- Here is another debate stirring ingredient. A lot of my patients and followers swear by witch hazel because of its immediate results on absorbing oil on the skin. What they fail to understand that it is not only absorbing the excess oils, but it is also stripping your skin of its natural oils. This can be very damaging to your skin and it’s natural protecting barrier, causing unnatural sensitized and dry skin. 5. Toothpaste- Such a popular trend and so harmful to your skin. Toothpaste contains high levels of baking soda which will mess with your skin’s ph level. This can lead to redness and burning of the skin. Toothpaste is a horrible option for your blemishes and instead I would recommend THE inkey LIST - Succinic Acid Acne Treatment As tempting as it is to try natural remedies at home, do your skin a favor and resort to stabilized and researched ingredients and products.
Self-Expression, Beauty Rituals, and Uplifting The Trans Community With Mariana MarroquinLearn about LA's Trans Wellness Center and how to become a better ally for the trans community.Jun. 24, 2020
How Cherie's Skin Report Can Help Users Get Advice from their PeersCherie's beauty community offers solutions to all of your skincare questions!Jun. 18, 2020
4 Easy Switches That Turned My Shower Into A SanctuaryHint: it's all about aromatherapy.Dec. 17, 2020